• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Around Brisbane (1 Viewer)

erniehatt said:
Can anyone tell me of any good birding areas around Brisbane, preferably on the North side. Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Just came across your message, we live north of Samford at Samsonvale (near Dayboro)
I actually moved here as the birding was so good 13 years ago! Unfortunately you are probably aware of the level of water in the North Pine Dam (Lake Samsonvale) but when it's full you can easily see 200+ species in the area.

If you haven't already seen it have a look at our website www.aviceda.org and in particular the ABID image database www.aviceda.org/abid

Tom

Tom Tarrant said:
Hi Ernie,

Just came across your message, we live north of Samford at Samsonvale (near Dayboro)
I actually moved here as the birding was so good 13 years ago! Unfortunately you are probably aware of the level of water in the North Pine Dam (Lake Samsonvale) but when it's full you can easily see 200+ species in the area.

If you haven't already seen it have a look at our website www.aviceda.org and in particular the ABID image database www.aviceda.org/abid

Tom

Thanks Tom,
I know Samsonvale quite well played golf there on many an occasion. Loved the images on your site.
I didn't give the North Pine Dam any thought, must give it a try sometime if and when it gets some water. Thanks again Ernie

Hi Ernie
One of our favourite sites on the north is around Bribie island. The centre, especially in August/September is great for wildflowers and honeyeaters. The bird hide on the Pumicestone Passage at Kakadu beach can be good for waders (we had a lucky view of Beach Stone Curlew the last time we were there). Then on to Buckley's waterhole for lunch and finally a diversion to Torbul on the way back (if its high tide) to look at the waders roosting next to the road. A good day out.
Cheers

Peter

Thanks peter, much appreciated, I am planning a trip to the Bunya mountains for a few days, in a couple of weeks, then I will check out these spots, thanks again . Ernie

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back