• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (2 Viewers)

Trip out today to see the Great Nortern Diver at Marine Lake Southport.Took my Canon 600D with 300m lens and the SX50.Bird was too far away for any decent shots with the 600D but the SX50 came into Its own,what a great camera it is.1st two SX50,3rd 600D.

Attachments

• gnd.jpg
    gnd.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 241
  • gnd1.jpg
    gnd1.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 225
Great Northern Diver in my parts called a Common Loon. I propose calling it a Great Northern Loon.

Of all bird calls, I love it's prehistoric call in the evening.

Many thanks regarding video on the sx50' the noise was constant but I seem to of sorted it with a faster sd card. Any advice on vid editing software preferably not to exspensive:t:

On the speculation on what the SX60 will be and this 100x patent, I'd much rather see better low light performance than even more reach at this point. I wouldn't want a less portable camera but if they could get a bit larger sensor without a significant decease in portability would be nice.

i tend to use external mics for most of my vids, but as the SX50 has no mic input (come on Canon...the SX60 needs one..!) i run it through a Zoom H1 recorder, then sync audio + video in editing software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LopJ0t71oaQ

Hi Mick, have you any suggestions on video editing software? I have found Windows Movie Maker nice and easy but a limited package, then downloaded a trial of Sony Movie Studio which appears a lot more capable. Your mention of synching audio is what grabbed my attention as I plan on getting a digital recorder going forward

cheers Paul

edit: I seem to have duplicated Bigshent's question now that I have read to the end of the thread

Last edited:
Hi Mick, have you any suggestions on video editing software? I have found Windows Movie Maker nice and easy but a limited package, then downloaded a trial of Sony Movie Studio which appears a lot more capable. Your mention of synching audio is what grabbed my attention as I plan on getting a digital recorder going forward

cheers Paul

I've been using various releases of Sony Vegas for years....my current version is Movie Studio HD Platinum 11.0 (it's not their latest, i believe 12.0 is) and i highly recommend it. Great software, and quite powerful too.

I've been using various releases of Sony Vegas for years....my current version is Movie Studio HD Platinum 11.0 (it's not their latest, i believe 12.0 is) and i highly recommend it. Great software, and quite powerful too.

Thanks Mick, it's version 12 that I am playing with at the moment, and at only £25 from Amazon now I reckon that will be the way forward. My laptop is a little slow but does get there in the end - and it's not as though I am hoping to make Hollywood Blockbusters!

cheers Paul

Still loving the SX50, answers to a couple of recent questions.

I wanted to comment on two recent posted questions. First, the question of battery life. I find this camera to be as good or better than any camera I have had when it comes to battery life. I actually have a total of four batteries because I had one situation where I would not be able to recharge for a week but even in that situation I think I only used two batteries. The current battery has been in the camera all week and I am sure I have shot at least a thousand shots with that battery and it still has three clicks. I shot 450 pictures of a Vermillion Flycatcher that showed up in my back yard yesterday alone.

The other question was something to the effect, Why is the SX50 so popular with birders. I am an avid birder and I paint birds, so I am constantly looking for reference photos. Being on somewhat of a fixed income, I will never afford two to ten thousand U. S, dollars for the minimum lens setup for a DSLR that I would need to photograph birds. I have been using various homemade adapters to adapt various point and shoot cameras to my binoculars for the better part of a dozen years and although I have achieved pretty good results, I have missed lots of pictures due to the slow setup and slow camera response. And with this setup, I was usually only shooting at about 800 mm. Even though the SX50 is still not quite as fast as a DSLR the improvement is so dramatic that I love this camera and I can get an identifiable shot at 2400mm.

Secondly, with the proliferation of digital cameras in every device, everybody has some sort of camera when they are in the field and it has become almost imperative that you have a photo if you want any bird records committee to accept your rare bird sighting. The SX50 often beats any DSLR when it comes to getting that far away identifiable shot.

The portability is wonderful. I wear a birding vest and it fits nicely in the pocket and is ready anytime I need it. And the image stabilization is so wonderful I rarely miss a shot and am hand held 98 % of the time. It was this thread that convinced me to purchase one and I am forever grateful for all the posts here and the advice on every level. I have “sold” five cameras based on my facebook bird photo posts, I think I need to contact Cannon about a commission. :=)

All the photos here were shot at full 50x, handheld.

Attachments

• 01 IMG_5836.jpg
    01 IMG_5836.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 310
  • 02 IMG_5769.jpg
    02 IMG_5769.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_4524.jpg
    IMG_4524.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_4616.jpg
    IMG_4616.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 307
Thank you Condor for the battery information you have convinced me that this is the camera I want.Now all I have to do is convince the other half that my present camera is naff.Great pics by the way....Eddy

Got the canon Sx50Hs this evening as a birthday present from the wife.Spent the rest of the evening charging the battery and reading all the books etc.First impression the battery is twice as thick as my Nikon one and fully charged in just about one and a half hours,very good.I also purchased a spare battery 16 GB SDHC and a suitable bag to put it in.I tried a couple of shots in the house to make sure everything works but will leave the rest until tomorrow.When I have taken a few pics I will post on here for critique.Thankyou everyone for your imput on this camera.....Eddy

Thanks! They were all pretty much taken with the C1 and C2 settings recommended early in this thread. Any birds in flight were taken in sports mode.

Eddy, glad she saw the light, my wife also designated my camera as my birthday present. Once a long time ago I tried to get a DSLR by reminding my wife that back in the day when I was shooting film with a SLR, I would often spend at least $500 on film and developing when we went on vacation so that savings could go toward a fancy DSLR. She quickly came back with, "Why don't you take a bunch more digital pictures and we could buy a new car."

Josh, when you use the sports mode, do you use the electronic viewfinder? I struggle with the viewfinder because my nearsightedness is such that I remove my glasses to read and since I am so close with the viewfinder I can only use it without my glasses presenting another problem, if I don't get on the bird, without my glasses I can't even see the trees. I just need to practice more.

Josh, when you use the sports mode, do you use the electronic viewfinder? I struggle with the viewfinder because my nearsightedness is such that I remove my glasses to read and since I am so close with the viewfinder I can only use it without my glasses presenting another problem, if I don't get on the bird, without my glasses I can't even see the trees. I just need to practice more.
Do you just need to adjust the viewfinder diopter? If your glasses give you normal distance vision then the viewfinder should be ok. The LCD is a different story.

I almost never use the viewfinder with the sx50. I've tried but it's just so much easier to use the LCD on the back of the camera, for all shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back