• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Tits in Britain - inbreeding & partial albininism (1 Viewer)

Anyway, I am sure that you would prefer to hear from people who have seen Willow Tits with some errant white feathers, which (for the record) I have not.

I seem to recall seeing a partially white Narrow-billed Antwren (Formicivora iheringi) at Boa Nova. That probably wasn't a good sign!

cheers, alan

Terminology may well have been mis-used, even perhaps to some extent developed through common usage, with the consequence that other birders will perfectly understand ... but that doesn't actually make such usage truly correct.

Over time, if developed through common usage and widely understood, that usage would become the correct usage.

We have a small population of Willow Tit in the Cynon Valley in South Wales. A birding friend of mine Martin Bevan has recently had a bird visiting his garden in Aberdare with a white wing on one side and white tail. This is the first time he has notices any plumage differences in the area.

Last edited:
Phil

Thanks - so that is at least 4 populations in which white feathering has been recorded in the last few years.

cheers, alan

I saw,two Willow Tits @ Fairburn a couple of weeks ago with white central tail feathers. Perhaps the West Yorkshire population referred to earlier?

Thanks - so that is at least 4 populations in which white feathering has been recorded in the last few years.

If assessing the role of inbreeding, I guess of relevance would be, if such records exist, the incidence of this in the days before Willow Tits became so fragmented.

Widespread occurrence of white feathering in Blackbirds and various crows, etc - these populations presumably not subject to high occurrence of inbreeding.

For what its worth, here where Willow Tits are common, I have never seen birds with abnormal plumage.

The attached paper is historical. It recorded 5 of the 8 Paridae species with instances of albinism but only 14 records (out of 3,134). As a result, considering how frequently the group would have been recorded, this suggests that albinism in the family is very rare (although one of the five species is probably Willow Tit).

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• V56_N11_P409_416_A077.pdf
    230.2 KB · Views: 35
I am wrong. It happens.

The five species of Paridae are:-
Long-tailed Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Marsh Tit

See the attached paper which also has a brief discussion of albinism as a result of inbreeding.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• V55_N06_P201_225_A033.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
At a very slight tangent regarding the White-winged Duck in the OP, I thought that the amount of white in the head on Sumatran birds was a racial thing?

A

At a very slight tangent regarding the White-winged Duck in the OP, I thought that the amount of white in the head on Sumatran birds was a racial thing?

A

The separate subspecies view is rejected in the attached.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 853-853-1-PB.pdf
    177.3 KB · Views: 23
Paul

Thanks for those attachments, interesting stuff. I wonder if there is some clever person out there who can estimate isolated population sizes from the incidence of partial albinism / leucism?

cheers, alan

I wonder if there is some clever person out there who can estimate isolated population sizes from the incidence of partial albinism / leucism?

Maybe I am way off the ball but still not sure that inbreeding is responsible for the partial albinism - whilst I don't doubt that partial albinism could be enhanced by a reduced gene pool, presuming some of those in the limited pool carried the recessive gene, is there any data that shows that this is actually caused by the inbreeding as such?

Additionally, I would guess population size estimate must be difficult, as some species seem far more prone to it than others, ie thrushes, sparrows and crows. So first we would need to work out some sort of incidence rate for each species and then presume it does not vary from one fragmented population to another (and if it the albinism is just due to chance concentrations of birds possessing the recessive genes, I would suppose it would vary). As said, maybe I am just speaking rubbish though :)

The separate subspecies view is rejected in the attached.

All the best

Paul

Cheers Paul,
still seems uncertain to me as to exactly what the cause is but I wouldn't say the author 'rejected' the idea of the racial separation of Sumatran birds, he does question it though.

Andy

Last edited:
These are examples of suspected links between true albinism and inbreeding from a quick google:

gorilla:

https://blogs.biomedcentral.com/on-...akes-story-a-tale-of-albinism-and-inbreeding/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/06/130618-albino-gorilla-inbreeding-genes-science/

humans: http://www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/supp/effects_inbreed.html

[check out table 4 at the bottom for increased incidence]

Tigers [leucism]: http://animalethicsri.weebly.com/white-tiger-inbreeding.html

I obviously can't vouch for any of these studies, pages but it seems logical to me.

cheers, alan

I've not seen any in the small and isolated population of Willow Tits on the chalk in North Hampshire but I would expect this to happen in the near future.

cheers, alan

I've finally caught up with Hampshire's first (?) Willow Tit with abnormal white bits, the same bird as linked above, see attached for my pic this morning.

cheers, alan

Attachments

• willow tit - white super 1 - Copy (3).jpg
    willow tit - white super 1 - Copy (3).jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back