• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Flock Shots' (1 Viewer)

grahamm

Graham Mee, Southend RSPB
I very much agree with Fifebirder when he stated.. "I think people should take more flock or 'impression' shots of birds, as well as the usual 'portraits.."

I was out Saturday and took this shot: http://www.southendrspb.co.uk/images2/240104.jpg.

I have taken quite a few single bird shots but I found this one very pleasing. It was taken in a second as I saw that something had disturbed the Oystercatcher flock. What had disturbed the flock was a Hen Harrier that came up the sea wall behind me and alomost took my nose off!

Graham

There's a lot to look at there Graham, so many different shapes from one species.
Try the Harrier next time, better still a whole flock of them! :t:

Nice picture Graham, I like flock shots very much, they seem so much more natural than many individual photographs. Like Michael, I wondered what the "things like mushrooms" are in the distance?

Yes, you are correct, they are the old WWII ack-ack forts out in the mouth of the Thames. You may remember them being in the news a few years ago when they were declared a kingdom by some guy who landed on them and set up his own flag.

By the way, we have it on very good authority that Peregrines have nested on them.

Graham

robinm said:
Look like Thames Fort to me. See here

Lovely shot BTW, Graham.

Great shot, I just started taken flock shots to record the days adventure.
I have never seen so many OC's! What a grand sight! (y)

You mean flock shots like this one I took of a 'few' Starlings and a Grey Heron.

Attachments

• ST4.jpg
    ST4.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 166
Screech,
I have been under that when getting data on Bewick's Swan plastic ring numbers when they come into certain areas of The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust Centre at Slimbridge in Gloucestershire in south west England (where the pic was taken). I always wore a hat but I found lots of extra 'dots' in my notebook upon my return!!!!! :'D

Colin,

Great shot of the starlings etc. As the picture was building on my screen it reminded me of wall tiles in a Gents convienience some years ago in Bridlington. With that number of starlings there may well be some connection!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back