• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windows XP SP2 (1 Viewer)

Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD

Hello,

As I use dial-up and do not want a high telephone bill I have ordered the CD. Does anyone know how long it will take to install Service Pack 2 using the CD. Also will I have to disable my anti - virus when I install the pack? Lastly, as my anti-virus has a firewall will there be a compatibility problem with the Windows XP firewall when it is switched on.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Christopher

Christopher said:
Hello,

As I use dial-up and do not want a high telephone bill I have ordered the CD. Does anyone know how long it will take to install Service Pack 2 using the CD. Also will I have to disable my anti - virus when I install the pack? Lastly, as my anti-virus has a firewall will there be a compatibility problem with the Windows XP firewall when it is switched on.

Regards,

Christopher

Hi Christopher. Downloading SP2 from a CD shouldn't take very long. You don't need to disable your anti-virus but you will have to switch off the firewall feature as SP2 automatically switches on the Windows firewall which could cause a conflict between the two. Once installed you can then decide which firewall you prefer to use.

Steve

Christopher said:
Hello,

Regards,

Christopher
It does take a while to install as it backs up your sytems files then sets a restore point. You do need to keep an eye on the screen, too, as you have to click 'Next' a couple of times. I think about 20 minutes in all?

I did disable my a/v, but I rely on the very effective WinXP firewall so left that alone.

I've just seen about disabling the firewall - I have Sygate running, and have always been satisfied with this, and I also have AVG anti-virus. Presumably now I have the SP2 ones running as well, so will this do any harm, and if so, which should I disable and how????

Will the latest Win XP boxes be up to date or will the SP2 still be neccessary?

If the boxes in the shops are up to date then is there a number I should look for to make sure I am not buying an old package.

songbird said:
I've just seen about disabling the firewall - I have Sygate running, and have always been satisfied with this, and I also have AVG anti-virus. Presumably now I have the SP2 ones running as well, so will this do any harm, and if so, which should I disable and how????

Windows aren't offering virus protection, so you'll still need AVG.
As far as a firewall is concerned, you appear to have a choice to either disable the Windows one, or remove Sygate; the Windows site advises not to use more than one.

Okay, thanks. I think I'd rather stick with Sygate, its been good. So I will have a look and see if I can find out how to disable the Windows one!

Service Pack 2

Hello,

I have obtained the above CD from Microsoft and installed Service Pack 2. There appears to be no problems. However, I have noticed my ISP website and e-mail seems to take longer to download than previously.

Regards,

Christopher

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back