• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (2 Viewers)

Nothing unexpected around late this morning. 3 Buzzards, small mixed flock of Redwing and Fieldfare, a few Wigeon and Teal on Upper, Little Egret on Mill Shrub.

Most interesting bird was a confusing-looking Tufted Duck(?) diving repeatedly between the two buoys off the dam. Prominent white nasal blaze, but a dark bird so more what I'd expect a drake to look like. Streaked grey/white plumage on its wings.

There was a group of Tufted Ducks nearby but it wasn't associating with them. Feeding furiously, repeated dives of around the length you'd expect from a Tufted Duck, maybe slightly longer. Only on the surface for a couple of seconds before diving again.

This was around 11.30am. I popped back again after I'd done the walk to Lower but I couldn't relocate this bird. No other birders around when I was first there, sadly.

Spent an hour at Upper Bittell at midday today with the following species seen-

In terms of wildfowl, there was 8 Mute Swan, 154 Canada Goose, 64 Greylag Goose, 7 Mallard, 5 Gadwall, 4 Shoveler, 8 Teal, 30 Wigeon and 10 Tufted Duck.

Other water birds included 1 Great Crested Grebe, 5 Little Grebe, 76 Coot, 3 Moorhen, 1 Grey Heron and 5 Cormorant.

Gulls were present in large numbers with 236 Black-Headed Gull, 17 Herring Gull and 145 Lesser Black-Backed Gull.

At the back of the water, 94 Woodpigeon, 54 Jackdaw and 18 Carrion Crow fed in the grassland.

Also of note was 7 Redwing and 1 Song Thrush by the path up to the reservoir.

Chris

Most interesting bird was a confusing-looking Tufted Duck(?) diving repeatedly between the two buoys off the dam. Prominent white nasal blaze, but a dark bird so more what I'd expect a drake to look like. Streaked grey/white plumage on its wings.

There was a group of Tufted Ducks nearby but it wasn't associating with them. Feeding furiously, repeated dives of around the length you'd expect from a Tufted Duck, maybe slightly longer. Only on the surface for a couple of seconds before diving again.

Looking at the photos of the Ring-Necked Duck at Westwood Pool, and then looking at more RND photos online. I've never seen a Ring-Necked Duck before, and I was on my own and the bird was so far out that I didn't bother taking photos as I only had my phone with me, but I did get decent scope views over a period of about 30 minutes.

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking at:

Ring-necked Duck male by Lois McNaught, on Flickr

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Aythya-collaris-001.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the photos of the Ring-Necked Duck at Westwood Pool, and then looking at more RND photos online. I've never seen a Ring-Necked Duck before, and I was on my own and the bird was so far out that I didn't bother taking photos as I only had my phone with me, but I did get decent scope views over a period of about 30 minutes.

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking at:

Ring-necked Duck male by Lois McNaught, on Flickr

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Aythya-collaris-001.jpg

Moral of the story.... always try to get a record shot if unsure of ID! Shame it couldn't be confirmed at the time, may have to go down as the one that got away.

Moral of the story.... always try to get a record shot if unsure of ID! Shame it couldn't be confirmed at the time, may have to go down as the one that got away.

I would have if I could have, believe me. The duck was on the surface only briefly each time and I was having to watch for it resurfacing, then get the scope on it as quickly as I could before it dived again. As you say, one that got away, but at least I'll be aware that I need to consider Ring-Necked Duck as a possiblity next time.

Male Garganey in far corner of Upper...too far to see with only bins though...lol

Other stuff included Shoveler, Teal and Wigeon.

Last edited:
Wast Hills

Sat for an hour at the pond on High Hill and all I had was a Male Blackcap but there were a couple of Mistle Thrushes on the top of the hill itself....One negative was this dead bird ...thinking a Buzzard and wondering if some nasty doings afoot....looks like its been dead for quite a time.

Had a few Swallow around the farm buildings on Wast Hills lane....and loads of Starling and Goldfinch.

Attachments

• 47662708221_acc4329e51_z.jpg
    47662708221_acc4329e51_z.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 29
Summer plumage male Bar-Tailed Godwit at Upper Bittell this afternoon. First time I've ever seen more than one other birder there.

Also my first Lesser Whitethroat of the year, in the hedge around the horse paddock at the top of the hill.

Summer plumage male Bar-Tailed Godwit at Upper Bittell this afternoon. First time I've ever seen more than one other birder there.

Also my first Lesser Whitethroat of the year, in the hedge around the horse paddock at the top of the hill.

REPORT.....Bar-Tailed Godwit still here today...

Upper Bittell: 8:00am - 5:00pm. Easterlies and rain provided the goods.

5 Knot, Great-White Egret, 4 Greenshank, Black Tern, Arctic Tern, 2 Hobby, 3 Redshank, 3 Ringed Plover, c25 Dunlin, 4 LRP, Lapwing, 2 Common Tern, 2 Red Kite, 2 Yellow Wagtail, 3 Little Egret.

Watching the Knot, Dunlin, RP's, Redshanks and Greenshanks flying round together was brilliant to see. All the hours of patch-watching go towards moments like that.

Thats 132 Species for the site this year.

Last edited:
Upper Bittell: 8:00am - 5:00pm. Easterlies and rain provided the goods.

5 Knot, Great-White Egret, 4 Greenshank, Black Tern, Arctic Tern, 2 Hobby, 3 Redshank, 3 Ringed Plover, c25 Dunlin, 4 LRP, Lapwing, 2 Common Tern, 2 Red Kite, 2 Yellow Wagtail, 3 Little Egret.

Watching the Knot, Dunlin, RP's, Redshanks and Greenshanks flying round together was brilliant to see. All the hours of patch-watching go towards moments like that.

Thats 132 Species for the site this year.

Thanks for letting us all know about this excellent day...….and that total is fantastic.

Leaving the wood...meeting his mates...and having a nap as the sun goes down.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 31
UPPER

Crane still in residence...

Had a quick glimpse of a Tern (assuming a Common ).

Around 9pm and the place was overrun with midges ….looking through bins it was a right haze BUT the really weird thing was on the horizon all around there was funny dark shadows like thin spiralling smoke....it took me a while before I realised they were all MILLIONS of insects...it was like Starling murmurations .

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...set=pcb.2377622322467008&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Last edited:
9The boats were out this evening and couldn't find the Crane but it's come out of hiding at 8pm now boats gone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back