• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egyptian Goose? (1 Viewer)

Unfortunately, as said above, the migration is likely to have taken place inside an airplane ...

Niels

Egyptian Goose

Yes, it is definately an Egyptian Goose. We have one here in Connellsville, PA.
A small town in SW PA.

We first saw him in July with other geese and ducks, and he is very friendly...eats bread from our hands.

I heard that these creatures have escaped from zoos, and started living in the wild again. Several have been spotted in Bucks CO, PA last year.

We have several photos of him/her. His name is Fred. |;|

http://carolwingert.smugmug.com/photos/416939272_SQEGr-M.jpg

I have several youtube videos of him flying too, as he has beautiful wings!

carol wingert
http://www.carolwingert.com

Last edited:
They're actually a fairly common bird in collections, and for that matter as escaped birds.

BTW, the ones in Bucks County, PA, are breeding.

I looked out this morning, and there are 6 of them now. Do males and females look the same or do I have 6 males? For 3 days now they keep hanging around the same oak trees on the golf course. It's 31 degrees today, I assume that doesn't bother them too much since they aren't flying farther south.

Males and females are close enough in appearance to be said they look alike. As far as I know they are basically non-migratory, they don't chase temperatures anyway. They will remain put as long as the environment can support them. Pretty much, they need open water and a food source and their all good.

I read one way to tell a male from a female is their "talk". The female have a distinct "squawk". Ours goose turns out to be a female, but we still call him Fred!

(ps- Tconnors, we are going to be in Austin in January. Can we contact you and visit YOUR Egyptian goose??)

I had no idea that goose was THAT old. Here's a recent shot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gailsbirdphotos/3032368564/
Yeah there used to be two of them. They appeared there around 1985. One was paired with a white Chinese Goose at the time. I used to be a volunteer there at the time. One of the staff there told me that it's the same bird when I was there in earlier this month.

Speaking of old, that White Pelican there, Helen, was first rescued by Lake Merritt as a youngster somewhere around 1973. Early 70's for sure. There were once two of them as well. The other one was named Hector. When I volunteered there in the mid 80's I remember them saying at that time that the birds were 15 years old.

Yeah there used to be two of them. They appeared there around 1985. One was paired with a white Chinese Goose at the time. I used to be a volunteer there at the time. One of the staff there told me that it's the same bird when I was there in earlier this month.

Speaking of old, that White Pelican there, Helen, was first rescued by Lake Merritt as a youngster somewhere around 1973. Early 70's for sure. There were once two of them as well. The other one was named Hector. When I volunteered there in the mid 80's I remember them saying at that time that the birds were 15 years old.

Here is the pelican at Lake Merritt. The naturalist commented at the bottom of the photo saying this was Hank who came to them four years ago.

http://flickr.com/photos/hockeylover/2990324405/

I also heard that Hector (or whatever one that died) was buried on the little island in front of the nature center.

Interesting history. Thanks, Gentoo. I know so little about birds, just ID'ing them is what I am working on now. Age is a whole different aspect for me.

Gail

Could easily be 20 years old. Some of the Bewick's Swans that come from northern Russia to winter in the UK are known from ringing studies to be in their mid twenties. I know that I am talking swans and the subject of this thread is geese but they are both waterfowl.

Thanks, Colin. I am going to start paying attention more to questions and comments regarding ages of birds. I never thought they lived that long. Good news.

Gail

Here is the pelican at Lake Merritt. The naturalist commented at the bottom of the photo saying this was Hank who came to them four years ago.

http://flickr.com/photos/hockeylover/2990324405/

I also heard that Hector (or whatever one that died) was buried on the little island in front of the nature center.

Interesting history. Thanks, Gentoo. I know so little about birds, just ID'ing them is what I am working on now. Age is a whole different aspect for me.

Gail
Lady of the Lake. If she really is the head Naturalist, her name is Stephanie. She was there when I was there. If it's really her then I'd take her word for it. The lady that told me it was Helen was some other staff member I did not know.

Lady of the Lake. If she really is the head Naturalist, her name is Stephanie. She was there when I was there. If it's really her then I'd take her word for it. The lady that told me it was Helen was some other staff member I did not know.

I tried to look at her Flickr profile and there was no information. I also heard from someone else that that pelican had been there longer. Who knows? At least I learned some new stuff about age, etc. Thanks, Gentoo.

I tried to look at her Flickr profile and there was no information. I also heard from someone else that that pelican had been there longer. Who knows? At least I learned some new stuff about age, etc. Thanks, Gentoo.
You're welcome. Don't know if you've noticed but that Egyptian Goose no longer has a voice. It gives a loud hiss when it calls.

Yes it is an Egyptian Goose which interestingly is not even a goose... It is a Shellduck... In fact there is not a single true goose in Southern Africa. Even Spur-winged goose is not a true goose.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back