• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In search of a 10 x40 (1 Viewer)

Richardi

Hello,

Can someone help with a recommendation for the purchase of a 10X42? I wear glasses so eye relief is a factor.

I have been looking at the Nikon Monarch that matches up to the Eagle Ranger; the Alpen Apex and Vortex (Fury) at one level. All in the $300 range. Perhaps some, if not all are made by the same manufacturer, based on specs - especially Nikon, Eagle and Alpen.

A second level, with perhaps not too much loss in quality, includes the Alpen Shasta, Eagle Denali, and the Vortex Diamonback in the $150-230 range.

Experience and thoughts about Alpen, Eagle, Vortex and Nikon will be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

I recently compared several bins, including Vortex and Nikon, and decided to spend a little more for current "state of the art" technology. Optically, that being (affordable) dielectric prism coating and ED glass in the Zen Ray ED2. The ED2 also features a wide FOV and good DOF. I am impressed every time I look through them.

The Zen Ray ED is another consideration at a lower price.

Last edited:
for $200 range, I will look at the Zenray ZRS HD. I have a pair of older version of ZRS HD. It is quite impressive. The new one is supposedly an even better offering.

I would go a step above the Diamondback. It is OK at 8x42, 10x requires better optics. It will not be poor, it just shows no more detail. And of course you need bright colors as well if you are spending 400 or more.

I think the ZR will give more years of use, but of course, both can develop simple mechanical problems. I use my Promaster that resembles the ZR in winter only, but I have the Ultra too, it often comes along as a spare all year, as it weighs less. Less than the ZR or Promaster I have.

Last edited:
in that price range I would be buying a porro prism - i think you will get a better bang for your dollar..nikon AE or pentax pcf are competent

Eye relief is only 15.2 on the Bushnell and the ZRS. I don't think that would not work for me if I used my glasses. I don't so.....

Last edited:
I have checked out the Zen Ray reviews - impressive

Any experience/preference on the Zen Ray 10x42 ZRS or Vista --

Both are getting excellent reviews; the Vista is about 40% less in cost with silver prism coating; the ZRS with Dielectric. Otherwise, they are very similar

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back