• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windows XP SP2 (1 Viewer)

scampo said:
I think Windows me will be fine for a good long time, yet. It has "System Restore", too - which is one of the main benefits of XP. Some folk seem to have had problems with it but my old PC is now with my sister-in-law and has been running that OS now for a good few years with hardly a glitch.

You certainly can't beat System Restore.

scampo said:
I think so - but others here have been less than comlimentary of it. It's never let me down yet.

Happy Birthday Steve,

If you mean me then say so.

I know of more than a dozen people who have been 'let down' by ME's System Restore - I have spent days putting back together the pieces for them.

Andy.

Oh... that's a bit unfair, Andrew. I didn't I mean you at all. I honestly thought a few people had said the same thing. What I said was based upon my own experience and I simply added that not everyone agrees. I think my comment was fair and absolutely no slight whatever was intended - not at all. I respect your knowledge and experience - that goes without saying. I'm an amateur, you're a professional with a wealth of experience.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, by the way! Good on yer!

(-:

Last edited:
I'm absolutely gutted! I am on dial-up, and connected at 44.0kpbs at 1.15 this afternoon and the SP2 thingy came up so I thought, yes, I'll let it instal whilst I am doing things, (like taking the dog out etc) It said it would take 3hrs 12mins to download a 92MB file. Well I have a 6 hour cut-off on my isp (One-tel) so no prob. Ha ha. It took 6 hours to download 90.30MB, and then of course, my isp cut off and I lost the lot! What a b...... waste of time and effort. So my advice is - don't bother unless you are on broadband or send for the cd. Any ideas what happens to the 90 odd bit of the file that has downloaded? Is it now on my hard disk for nothing, if so, how do I get rid of it? :C

songbird said:
Any ideas what happens to the 90 odd bit of the file that has downloaded? Is it now on my hard disk for nothing, if so, how do I get rid of it? :C

Hi Songbird,

Not absolutely sure on this but Windows Update should use BITS ("Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service is stopped, features such as Windows Update, and MSN Explorer will be unable to automatically download programs and other information. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it may fail to transfer files if they do not have a fail safe mechanism to transfer files directly through IE in case BITS has been disabled.") so restart Windows Update and it may start where it left off.

Be sure to make a manual restore point and back up any vital files before the install begins and check these links (print them out) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875350&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875355&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329015&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;878454&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=878454

Sometimes the only way to install SP2 is on a fresh install of XP!

Andy.

songbird said:
I'm absolutely gutted! I am on dial-up, and connected at 44.0kpbs at 1.15 this afternoon and the SP2 thingy came up so I thought, yes, I'll let it instal whilst I am doing things, (like taking the dog out etc) It said it would take 3hrs 12mins to download a 92MB file. Well I have a 6 hour cut-off on my isp (One-tel) so no prob. Ha ha. It took 6 hours to download 90.30MB, and then of course, my isp cut off and I lost the lot! What a b...... waste of time and effort. So my advice is - don't bother unless you are on broadband or send for the cd. Any ideas what happens to the 90 odd bit of the file that has downloaded? Is it now on my hard disk for nothing, if so, how do I get rid of it? :C

Try looking in the temporary Windows Update folder C:\WUTemp. You might also want to try starting the download again as many of the microsoft packages can continue downloading from where they got interupted - worth a try - you can always cancel it if it looks like it's going to do the lot again!

Regards
Pete Morrison

When I tried to download it said it would take 5 hours 27 minutes so I asked for the cd. Microsoft said it will arrive within 28 days, free of all charges.

Just to let you all know that I have now downloaded and installed SP2 without any problems at all. Everything seems to be working just fine!

Steve

Thanks all you guys who have offered help and advice. Good news - I just went onto the Update website and clicked the SP2 download again and it has resumed at 90MB, so as I speak it is now finishing off the last 2MBs! I just hope it is all worth while after all this hassle!

Thanks again :D

Hi,
I successfully downloaded SP2 and everything seems to work fine except my mouse control. I work a lot with PS and need to fine tune images. Ever since I installed SP2, the mouse movement has become erratic and does not let me follow outlines with the ease of before. Is this a memory related issue ?
I work with a laptop and a Microsoft notebook optical mouse (not the touch-pad).
Any help appreciated. Basic computer skills, so please use kid gloves.....
Cheers!
sumit

Sumit said:
Hi,
I successfully downloaded SP2 and everything seems to work fine except my mouse control. I work a lot with PS and need to fine tune images. Ever since I installed SP2, the mouse movement has become erratic and does not let me follow outlines with the ease of before. Is this a memory related issue ?
I work with a laptop and a Microsoft notebook optical mouse (not the touch-pad).
Any help appreciated. Basic computer skills, so please use kid gloves.....
Cheers!
sumit

Hii Sumit,

Try using the latest Intellimouse drivers http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx they may help with the accuracy of your mouse.....

Is the mouse USB or PS2?

Andy.

I downloaded SP2 and what surprised me was the space it used on the hard disk.

1.6 GB seems a lot for a download of 90 MB, anyone know why?

Grousemore said:
I downloaded SP2 and what surprised me was the space it used on the hard disk.

1.6 GB seems a lot for a download of 90 MB, anyone know why?

Hi Grousemore,

266MB for the full download, ???MB for the new System Restore point created before the update is made, enough temporary space for the creation of the update plus System Restore space.....the less space you have, the more fragmented it will be, the slower the update procedure will be....

If you download the full SP2, you can then 'slipstream' - create a new XP SP2 Disk - with your original XP disk - so if you need to reinstall or do a repair install, it will be to SP2; this may take as much as 2GB of free space.....

Andy.

Thanks, Andy, I'm beginning to see where the space went now!
I haven't got an original XP disk as my Laptop came with it already installed.
I agree with other posters that the SP2 is all about security and so for those whose systems are already secure, the SP2 may not be necessary perhaps?

Grousemore said:
I agree with other posters that the SP2 is all about security and so for those whose systems are already secure, the SP2 may not be necessary perhaps?

Yes, that is probably accurate; it seems to me that SP2 is for Joe Public who does not want to learn anything about security or operating systems (- they should have bought Macs anyway!) and comes as a fairly fool-proof package.

If you don't mind spending an hour or so a week tweaking your defences then XP SP1 is fine.

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back