• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insect ID (Romania, probably some kind of wasp?) (1 Viewer)

siposi

Hello,

This weekend I took the attached panorama (in Romania) and after checking it on my phone I noticed that strange thing on it (marked with red circle). First I thought that it is a bird due to its size, but probably the perspective of the photo can be confusing. I started to think that it is some kind of insect. I know that the magnified version is too blurry, but can it be a Wasp (possibly a Mammoth wasp, Megascolia maculata)?

Thank you very much in advance,
Istvan

Attachments

• id1.jpg
    id1.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 16
  • id2.jpg
    id2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 18
Thanks Torchepot for your reply and idea! I just compared some Hummingbird hawkmoth photos with my photo and I think yes, it could be that as well. However what confuses me is that it seems that this insect has a yellow abdomen and the junction between the thorax and abdomen seems a little bit slim. Probably I will never find what was this exactly as if I zoom in the photo it becomes very blurry (so blurry that first I thought that this was a bird) :(

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back