• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Osprey behavior at nest (1 Viewer)

Cliff99

I was watching this osprey at its nest at Ding Darling in Florida for some time. It was calling and I assumed it was waiting for its mate to return with a fish. Was surprised when it finally departed with the remains of a fish. Everything I've read about behavior does not make sense, as they are not known to keep a tidy nest. Would appreciate any thoughts. There was another osprey in the nest which appeared to be a well developed juvenile.

Attachments

• _DSC4851bf.jpg
    _DSC4851bf.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 12
Western Osprey were doing something similar at the Jackson Bottom Wetlands Preserve (Oregon), but that was last August. Right down to carrying around a half fish.

If you don't get any answers, you can ask in the chat here:

https://service9.rumbletalk.net/W@rw7~D8/

This is the chat attached to the "Osprey cam" in Richmond, CA. Lots of knowledgeable folks keep an eye out here, including people from the Golden Gate Raptor Observatory.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back