• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sand Cat at Merzouga, Morocco (1 Viewer)

Sand Cat photographed at Merzouga, Morocco, for the first time in almost three decades.

Are Sand Cats known to be attracted to human settlement? Because what has become of Merzouga is anything but a wilderness (more like a theme park), so unless a species is positively inclined to human presence, it is unlikely ti get established there.

Are Sand Cats known to be attracted to human settlement? Because what has become of Merzouga is anything but a wilderness (more like a theme park), so unless a species is positively inclined to human presence, it is unlikely ti get established there.

I don’t think they are attracted to human settlements; quite the opposite, these should be considered as threats to them (habitats degradation, disturbance, dogs,…).

But I don’t understand the second – highlighted – part of your post. Could you elaborate why you think so?

I don’t think they are attracted to human settlements; quite the opposite, these should be considered as threats to them (habitats degradation, disturbance, dogs,…).

But I don’t understand the second – highlighted – part of your post. Could you elaborate why you think so?

I mean since you are Moroccan (right?) you must have seen it yourself. The "Auberge area" is now basically a city, there is not only a lot of accomodations, but there is an actual city, with streets and other infrastructure about a kilometer north, which looks pretty new. Then if you venture into the dunes, it's sprawling with people, there are camps, camel caravans for tourists etc... there is just not really any wilderness anywhere close to Merzouga to be seen.

You are right about the chaos around Merzouga, but despite this there is enough wildness to support even one of the most “persecuted” mammals, namely the fennec fox (persecuted here means the widespread illegal capture and trade). Have a look at this video recorded last summer in the heard of Erg Chebbi showing fennec cubs playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-sme-HtccY

What most people don’t understand is that Merzouga is as popular among Moroccans as with birders (both nationals and foreigners). The latter, as you all known, visit the area to easily see many North African specialties. Whereas the Moroccans (non-birders) visit the area for many reasons (from just to enjoy the sun and sand,…to sand bathing for therapeutic purposes).

What I am trying to say, is that people are trying to make a living, and it’s difficult for outsiders to fully understand the situation from just a couple of visits.

Yes, I am Moroccan.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back