• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (24 Viewers)

Any thoughts on the goose influx then? Is it getting cold out east, or is it just birds heading south getting drifted across by the easterlies?
Seems a bit early for it to be that cold on the continent...
Here's hoping I will find some down the LDV tomorrow.
Cheers
Jono

Dear All,

Planning a trip to the above soon, can someone advise whether the ings have started filling up a bit in both areas please?
Worth going at the moment or would it be best to leave it a few weeks?

mtia
Michael

A couple of small flashes on Wheldrake Ings (plus the pool of course), also some water on Bank Island, otherwise dry. Need a few days of prolonged rain to bring the Derwent up and over!

32 Whitefronts kicking around Wheldrake, but mobile, also Tundra Bean Goose on Thursday, plus over 20 Whoopers resident at Wheldrake.

Still worth a visit, but lacking the usual volume of birds.

Another excellent day at Filey. The short-eared Owls just keep coming: perhaps as many as 5 today. White-fronts were up to around 30: 15 inc at least 3 young, 9 inc at least 4 young and varying numbers in loose groups. Also a single tundra Bean. Superb male Hen Harrier on the north cliffs and hedges - pretty rare here. Good Sparrowhawk movement and sprinkling of migrants etc including 2-3 Blackcap, few Brambling, 3+ Lap Bunts and good numbers of thrushes. Lots of birds generally and great weather to watch them in. We'll be in Baker's Cafe at Coble Landing at lunchtimes if anyone would like to join us.

Photos thanks to John Harwood and Andy Hodgkinson.

Attachments

• se owl 162-2.jpg
    se owl 162-2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 123
  • hh 003-1 (2).jpg
    hh 003-1 (2).jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 146
  • AHHenHarrier.jpg
    AHHenHarrier.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 112
  • hh 004-1.jpg
    hh 004-1.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 113
Foggy views of the American wigeon at wintersett today. It was flushed by a boat from wintersett just as I arrived but I managed to find it again on Anglers CP lake from the main hide.

Waxwings turned up in Skipton yesterday 10 days earlier than last year. Anybody else seen any? I expected the milder weather to delay their arrival.

Yes, my garden in Skipton. Two so far - both males. An "advance party" of two arrived last year on 25th Nov and were followed on 2nd December by a flock of around 15.

Talking about Geese

We found this sorry sight this aft. (see pics). There were 7 laid together next to the field shown. As can be seen something has eaten part of one, so the continuation along the food chain goes on.
They had not been shot... so, a few Q's arise............
Have they been feeding from the poisoned crop shown in the field..?
Is the poisoning legal..?
Will whatever has fed from one of the carcasses also meet the same fate...?
Finally are they Pink Footed Geese...?

On a lighter note....loads of Fieldfare/Redwing prob. 3/400 birds flocking along the hedgerows...:t:

Attachments

• P1000726 copy.jpg
    P1000726 copy.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 109
  • P1000728 copy.jpg
    P1000728 copy.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 70
  • P1000729 copy.jpg
    P1000729 copy.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 86
  • P1000727 copy.jpg
    P1000727 copy.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
We found this sorry sight this aft. (see pics). There were 7 laid together next to the field shown. As can be seen something has eaten part of one, so the continuation along the food chain goes on.
They had not been shot... so, a few Q's arise............
Have they been feeding from the poisoned crop shown in the field..?
Is the poisoning legal..?
Will whatever has fed from one of the carcasses also meet the same fate...?
Finally are they Pink Footed Geese...?

On a lighter note....loads of Fieldfare/Redwing prob. 3/400 birds flocking along the hedgerows...:t:

Yes they're PFGs. :( As far as I know, PFGs are a legal quarry species if shot by a licensed wildfowler, but if these have been poisoned then that is breaking the law.

Sad day at work today - heard a bang on the office window, looked out and lying below was a woodcock - unfortunately it did not make it, assume it broke its neck. Having seen this bird a colleague said exactly the same type of bird was lying in the road at her car park down the road - again dead - probably hit by a car. There must have been a movement of them overnight. Whilst very sad it just goes to show what could be flying overhead, even in a city, during migration periods!

Sad day at work today - heard a bang on the office window, looked out and lying below was a woodcock - unfortunately it did not make it, assume it broke its neck. Having seen this bird a colleague said exactly the same type of bird was lying in the road at her car park down the road - again dead - probably hit by a car. There must have been a movement of them overnight. Whilst very sad it just goes to show what could be flying overhead, even in a city, during migration periods!

Hi John

I had one in the centre of York a couple of weeks back, it was flying along the middle of one of the main roads in the city!

Hi John

I had one in the centre of York a couple of weeks back, it was flying along the middle of one of the main roads in the city!

8 sightings of Woodcock on Saturday morning in a large Victorian cemetery off one of the major busiest roads in Hull. 6 sightings of at least 4 birds the previous Saturday - couldn't find any yesterday though.

Pic taken in the fading light of the probable 'Baltic Gull' 1/2 mile east of Bempton this afternoon

BalticGull002edited.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back