• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the big dragonflies and butterflies in chicago (1 Viewer)

johnnyb39

hello! iI was in chicago on vacation in july and was amazed by the huge dragonflies flying around in chicago streets.maybe it was small hummingbirds but i think it was dragonflies I´m not so familiar with the insects in chicagoland but could anyone tell me something about the dragonflies in chicago .i also saw som very fast kind of butterfly feeding and flying around and the suddenly settle down again on the same spot it rose from. what kind of species were they .interesting ,I´m from sweden and we dont have flies that big and soo fast here .i was also in lincoln park and north pond the peggy scooting i saw beatiful macaon butterflies redwinged blackbirds and housefinches too. ii would like to come back to chicago and see more next time .from johnnyb39 .

They were most likely dragonflies as we have many, many varities here in Chicagoland. We also get the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds, but they're not as prevelant.

What did the butterflies look like? Any pics?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back