• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it worth it?? (1 Viewer)

John In Ireland

Ireland
I have an Acuter ST22-67x100A scope that I bought 3yrs years ago and never taken it out of the box! I also have a Canon 450D DSLR and a Sony DSC-V1 compact camera. Looking at some of the digiscoped images led me to dig the scope out of the attic! Is it worth me spending money trying to connect any of these cameras to this scope? Would the picture quality be any good? What sort of adapters would I need? Sorry for all the questions! Last one ... Should I dump the scope and stick to my 100-400EF lens with the 450D?

http://hubpages.com/hub/Many-pictures-of-Wild-Leitrim

Last edited:
I think you can get some good images...But the images you get will not be of song birds or anything fast moving. Digiscoping from my experience is more inclined to waterfoul, raptors etc...things that stay perched for awhile, which does include song birds I suppose but I haven't quite gotten there yet but will try once spring comes around.

You still need good light...the sun in the right spot...a camera/lens is important here too and I am not sure what is good or bad, just that I am working with the one I have...Canon 1200 IS...I am sure there are better but this is the one I am working at as you have yours selected.

The scope is the lens so just like with you sony camera if you have a real quality lens it will give you better results. Chances are if you have a scope that is ED glass, and quality on top of that (as you can have ED glass but poor quality of scope and lens), than you can get pretty good results. I don't know your scope so that is up to you to decide if it meets that criteria.

From what I was told.....in scopes....scope quality is matched pretty good to scope price. A $2000 scope is excellent for digiscoping...a $500 is not. I am only replying what I read, not what might actually be.

Either way, digiscoping is fun and a challenge. I find I can certainly take pics from birds afar where I couldn't before even with my camera and lens. So the opportunity is there. Don't expect great shots of small birds from 100 meters/yards...it aint going to happen. But from closer up, yes...digiscoping will give you good quality considering quality of scope, your technique, light etc is there. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back