Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Osprey Nest Failure

Old Thursday 7th June 2012, 21:18   #1
changing9

Osprey Nest Failure

An osprey nest that I have been watching for over 15 years has, this year, apparently failed. (It is in the Callander/Menteith area). There was a lot of activity in early April but no sign now of life in or around the nest. Indeed, yesterday, a greylag goose landed on the eyrie and spent 15 minutes stomping around the rim, occasionally dropping into the nest and re-appearing after a few seconds.

I wonder if the very cold, wet Spring caused the eggs to be unviable (if, indeed, any were laid) or if there has been human interference.

Does anyone else have evidence of normally productive osprey nest sites being unproductive this year?
Old Thursday 7th June 2012, 21:22   #2
Ben Nevis

A Grey Lag Is known to have an annual battle with Ospreys,for a nest on top of a Pine In Angus.
Old Sunday 10th June 2012, 20:05   #3
changing9

Thanks Ben. I hadn't heard of that kind of competition before. I hope it's not a sign of things to come at this site as both greylags and Canadas are increasing year by year.
Old Tuesday 26th June 2012, 10:50   #4
changing9

..have just heard that the guys at Argatty reckon that over 50% of the red kite nests they have been monitoring have failed this year. Fortunately raptors are relatively long-lived animals and an occasional poor breeding season is not a serious p0roblem.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: