• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 10x54 Victory HT or Swaro SLC 56 (1 Viewer)

b3rd

Reg1stered User
Coming off the hope that the Maven B2s would be the binocular for me, I've set my sights on these two binoculars:

• Zeiss 10x54 Victory HT
  • Swarovski SLC 10x56 HD

I'm hoping for something with a pleasing image, great to excellent CA control, and the ability to handle twilight/dusk conditions but also bright, backlit situations. I like the reach of 10x for birding (I could be convinced to use 9x). I don't mind a little extra weight, although I'm a bit worried the SLCs might be even too much weight for me. I seem to be sensitive to CA--very often I will see color banding on backlit birds in the center of field.

Any thoughts on which of these might edge out the other, or if there are any others I should be looking at seriously? Also any advice on how to try these out would be great. I'm not sure I have a brick and mortar store near me that would carry these in stock.

I've formerly considered the Noctivids pretty seriously, but I've heard from multiple sources that they tend to be less great on CA control. Maybe the Leica Ultravid 10x50 should be on my list? I liked them in the store, but didn't really get a chance to check them out in challenging light.

A few other random tidbits:

I've thought maybe one solution to meeting the challenges of birding in a variety of light conditions with my particular eyes could be to have two sets of bins--one for lower and normal light situations and then another set when I'm on a shoreline and am looking into bright sky. (My Zeiss Pocket bins might fill this role quite well) Is it possible I'm better served by splitting my requirements and carrying two bins or could I possibly find a good one size fits all set?

Edit: I seem to have posted this to the wrong area. Hopefully a mod will see it and move it to the Binocular forum.

Last edited:
You have posted this to the wrong forum. Move it to the binoculars subforum.

Good question, and the discussion of these binoculars are over there.

The Swaro. is not being sold in the US.

Jerry

You have posted this to the wrong forum. Move it to the binoculars subforum.

Good question, and the discussion of these binoculars are over there.

The Swaro. is not being sold in the US.

Jerry

Yep. Not sure how to move--or delete and repost. Yeah, seems like the Swaro would be difficult to get maybe. That's too bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back