• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quebec thrushes (part 4) (1 Viewer)

Widus

Hi,
All these were photographed in the Fjord-du-Saguenay national park on May 26.
Bird 1. What I note on the first bird is the rufous-brown tail and secondaries, no pronounced eye-ring and rather strong spotting on the breast. Based on this I would say Hermit for this one.
Bird 2. This one, based on the sole picture I have, does not look like any of the thrushes I have seen so far during my trip in Quebec (Swainson, Hermit and Veery). In fact, the jizz reminds me of a pipit. No idea of its identity.
Bird 3. Also only one pic available for this bird. A stronger built thrush than the others it seems to me. Swainson's?

Attachments

• 5976.jpg
    5976.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 58
  • 6019.jpg
    6019.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 6062.jpg
    6062.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 63
Sorry to disagree. but to me, all three have somewhat rufous elements in the tail and the wing, which Swainson's lacks, plus none of them have the buffy eye ring that is the most distinctive Swainson's feature.
They are all Hermit Thrushes to my eyes.

Last edited:
I'm almost certain 3 is a Swainson's Thrush. The bill is too thick and blunt tipped for Hermit and for #3 I don't think it is even that close to within range of Hermit Thrush. It has a suggestion of spectacles in my opinion. Also, despite unanimous disagreement from my original post, I do not see any of these as showing rufous elements of the tail and wings. 1 appears to be Hermit Thrush. 2 is more difficult in my opinion but upon another look I am starting to lean more towards Hermit. Both the lack of spectacles and the bill shape probably favor Hermit Thrush and I think I was wrong initially.

Last edited:
Just based on the structure, which offers sometimes more solid grounds for identification purposes than color tones, it would be surprising for me if bird #3 is of the same species as the others. Tom mentioned the bill differences but it seems to me that the wing's structure is different as well (more elongated in bird #3) as is the head (rounder in birds #1 and #2).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back