Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Highlights in Ireland in first week septembre

Old Thursday 27th August 2009, 19:19   #1
rivieren

Highlights in Ireland in first week septembre

Hallo everybody,

I would be glad if anybody coud give me some infornation of places in Ireland, that are worth a visit in first week of septembre 2009. A friend of mine is going to go there shortly and, as an not too profesional orinthologist, is mainly intested in not too small birds, not too difficult to find and I hope there might be some helpful information, notwithstanding the unprofessional aim of his journey.He starts at Dublin.

Any suggestions recommended

Thanks rivieren
Old Thursday 27th August 2009, 19:59   #2
paul Robinson

Hi
The easiest birds in Dublin area in September would be waders, gulls and possibly terns.
If your friend wants to buy a book they should get "Finding birds in Ireland" by Eric Dempsey and Michael O'Clery. Available in Waterstone's in Dublin.
Good areas in Dublin are the Bull Island and Sandymount Strand which are easily reached by bus. Slightly further out are the Swords Estuary (North) and Kilcoole (South) which will require a car. Several headlands will have good seawatching if the winds are right too.
What birds would your friend particularly like to see? I might be able to bring him/her out for an afternoon or morning if we can find a time to suit. Contact me directly at [email protected](Remove_this_bit) if your friend wants to do that.
regards
Paul
Old Thursday 27th August 2009, 20:05   #3
paul Robinson

Hi
Forgot to mention to look at this site too:

http://www.dublinbirding.ie/

regards
Paul
Old Saturday 29th August 2009, 11:21   #4
Peter Phillips

Probably the best way to get around Dublin via public transport and visit some great sites would be to take the DART in goes from Dun laoirghe to Howth. Howth is a headland with seabird cliffs and peregrines and very nice walk as well as a harbour with gulls etc. The next stop sutton gives good views of Baldoyle estuary with some waders gulls and terns etc. At Raheny there is about a 20 minute walk to Bull Island which is also good particularly near high tide with good views from the road going over to the island (you could easily spend a day here and on the iskland. (bus will leave you beside it)On the south side Booterstown gives great access to a beach which hjas huge numbers of terns coming in to roost on september evening. THere are other good spots DUn laoirge etc all a short walk from the train stations...get a day ticket....you could easily spend a full weekend checking out the sites from the various stations .
apologies for the text my 8 month helped with theb typing

Last edited by Peter Phillips : Saturday 29th August 2009 at 11:30.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: