Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How can I find frogs in Cambridge?

Old Saturday 25th July 2020, 13:55   #1
Gleb Berloff
sokol

How can I find frogs in Cambridge?

I would like to photograph a lot of animals, and the only ones I have left are badgers, frogs, long-eared and little owls.
I already asked about the owls and let's just say didn't get the response I was hoping for.
The badgers are in a location I know but it is closed right now!
That leaves just frogs. I am not asking for pool frog locations, and I understand nobody would give me that anyway. I am asking for simple, common frogs, Rana temporaria.
Out of all the animals, this is the last one I expected to ask about.
Can anyone advise me how to find them? I have gotten up early and scoured Bramblefields, I visited Barnwell east and Byron's Pool, I scoured my garden, nothing!
The only time I saw frogs this year was one in March when one was jumping around near me as I waited for a bus and a dead skeleton of a frog on a road.
Has anyone seen frogs in cambridge this summer? are there any good sites?
Or, at least, how can I observe them, when, where?
Thank you very much!
Gleb
Old Saturday 25th July 2020, 14:05   #2
opisska
Jan Ebr

For frogs - and herpetofauna in general - I recommend inaturalist.org - make a free account, go to "explore", zoom on the area you want to see and type "Frogs" into the species field, select a category level you are interested in. Cambridge area has a plenty of observations.

In general, this is a harder time for frogs than spring, but at least here in Poland some are still to be found, so you should try in the UK as well.
Old Saturday 25th July 2020, 14:54   #3
Gleb Berloff
sokol

Quote:
Originally Posted by opisska View Post
For frogs - and herpetofauna in general - I recommend inaturalist.org - make a free account, go to "explore", zoom on the area you want to see and type "Frogs" into the species field, select a category level you are interested in. Cambridge area has a plenty of observations.

In general, this is a harder time for frogs than spring, but at least here in Poland some are still to be found, so you should try in the UK as well.
Wow, thank you!
Really?
I go to Russia too and there is an overdose of frogs there, but mostly in August. Maybe it was just too hot for them- we have sub-30 degrees temperatures in the summer at times. Or maybe I didn't look well enough :)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: