• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (18 Viewers)

Desert Wheatear, Horsey

I think we have all appreciated the other wildlife around whilst we are out birding. How could anyone not appreciate the baby seals when they are as gorgeous as this!
Sue

Attachments

• Desert-Wheatear-Horsey-(11).jpg
    Desert-Wheatear-Horsey-(11).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 119
  • Grey-Seals-Horsey-(1)-08120.jpg
    Grey-Seals-Horsey-(1)-08120.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 112
9 Whooper Swans out this way this morning, in a freshly harvested beet field at Lessingham. One of them was marked with a neck collar; details have been submitted via the BTO website.

On a rather sad note, I recently picked up a dead Otter beside the A1151 at Beeston St. Lawrence; road traffic casualty. Beautiful he was. There's a small lake nearby but it must be at least 2 miles to the nearest river system...

James

Seawatch today gave a steady stream of entertainment, with some good birds. A fair few Skua sp., with 2 definite Pomarines and 2 Great Skuas, 1 Great Northern Diver, along with several probables. Upwards of 100 Eider passed throughout the day, along with a steady stream of Kittiwakes, Auks and Red Throated Divers. Also a good passage of Shellduck, Brents, Knot, Goldeneye and Common Scoter, along with a stray Tufted Duck in with some Wigeon.

I think I'll try and get up early and put in an hour before work tomorrow.

Jason

Hi all, I'm following the thread with great interest as I'm staying in Norfolk over xmas. I've had many lifers in Norfolk - this time I'm hoping for Snow & Lapland Bunting, Merlin, Hen Harrier and Waxwing. Can't wait :)

Hi Kstar. You shouldn't have any problems with Lapland or Snow Buntings at Salthouse. I think there were 80 or so Snow Bunts at Salthouse today! Had a Merlin head up to Blakeney Point via Cley Coastguards today, and I know there are a couple wintering in that area, so you may get lucky around there. If not, Wareham Greens is also a good spot for them, along with Hen Harriers.

Waxwings are the only thing I cant help with I'm afraid! Keep an eye on RBA though...

Jason

Hi there

in future my updates from east Norfolk will be on my own makeshift website / blog thing http://www.freewebs.com/eastnorfolkbirding/ and elsewhere. It's a bit basic but I hope it will prove useful to people on occasion. There's weather on there, tides etc and I'll do stuff like Google Maps to any rare birds that turn up etc. After I've seen them of course.

And there wont be any woodpeckers on it.

Tim

Hi Kstar. You shouldn't have any problems with Lapland or Snow Buntings at Salthouse. I think there were 80 or so Snow Bunts at Salthouse today! Had a Merlin head up to Blakeney Point via Cley Coastguards today, and I know there are a couple wintering in that area, so you may get lucky around there. If not, Wareham Greens is also a good spot for them, along with Hen Harriers.

Waxwings are the only thing I cant help with I'm afraid! Keep an eye on RBA though...

Jason

Cheers Jason, I had heard that Salthouse was good for Lapland and Snow Bunting, but I hadn't actually realised there were so many - I'm a lot more confident about seeing them now! Thanks also for the info re Merlin and Hen Harrier, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. With Waxwings I'll just have to wait and see...not looking like a good year for them so far.

Hi there

in future my updates from east Norfolk will be on my own makeshift website / blog thing http://www.freewebs.com/eastnorfolkbirding/ and elsewhere. It's a bit basic but I hope it will prove useful to people on occasion. There's weather on there, tides etc and I'll do stuff like Google Maps to any rare birds that turn up etc. After I've seen them of course.

Tim

Nice one Tim. Look forward to reading it :king:

interesting bird off sheringham yesterday (which i didn't see so don't shoot the messenger!)

petrel sp which experienced seawatcher believed had extensive white extending below the rump and which they felt was either wilson's or maderian - but seen briefly and fairly distantly (i.e. beyond flags) , however other observers thought it was 'just' a leach's (still pretty good for dec).

also a black red and stonechat which can be found anywhere along the prom.

had steady no's of gannets, 1 fulmar and 60 + eider's from work and in morning i had roughly 89 snow bunts seemingly fly in off then head up the beach.

Hi there

Tim

nice site Tim - the radde's is mega gripping - most people (inc me) were watching that lousy BRW at salthouse at the time - i know where i would rather have been!

its a bit of a slog biking down your way but be good to catch up in the new year.

Popped to Wells yesterday afternoon and was surprised to see four shag in the harbour, at times one of them showed very well. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants a crack at photographing them. Also has five goldeneye on the walk out from the harbour.

Hi folks

Following my visit the other weekend i'm itching to get back!
I was just wondering if anyone knows what type of seed gets put down for the buntings at salthouse? If i come back i will bring some alond and try to get some pics (in the day light this time!).

Cheers
Gareth

I was just wondering if anyone knows what type of seed gets put down for the buntings at salthouse? If i come back i will bring some alond and try to get some pics (in the day light this time!).

they don't seem overly fussy... but the favourites seem to be millet and nyjer. The best bet is to set yourself up (sitting down is the best) and the put the seed ~6m away, you should get lap and snow bunts in within half an hour.

Tim

Cool site Tim, well done, thanks for putting the link.

Connor

Hi there

Tim

Great idea Tim!

Now you really will spend all your time on the computer. Make some time for birding won't you?
Good Luck
Sue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back