• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

house sparrow update. (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
early evening and we had a teriffic downpour then bright sunshine, went to look at bird feeders and do count of sparrows,
well it must be our best count to date.
house sparrows 48
starlings 54
blackbirds 24
greenfinches 16
collared doves 8
1 pair bullfinches but still no sign of their young they have been
feeding with us for 18 months!!!
tits& robins very quite.
bert.

To think 48 sparrows 20 years ago was common, now it's wonderful to hear that so many can be seen. Many thanks Cat for the count. They have to be one of my favourite birds, maybe because they are so cheaky ;)

We bought a birdtable a few weeks ago and were delighted that a couple of house sparrows were the first to use it. They are still around although a juvenile robin (more and more of his red breast coming through daily) and a bossy blackbird seem to be taking over. Fine with me I think the humble blackbird is a wonderful looking bird and every time I read a story about them they seem to be getting up to some mischieve! The lager-lout of the garden bird world??! Greetings from Gloucester.

That is great news, Bert. My House Sparrows have had a good summer so far. My count for the RSPB at Easter recorded only 6 in my garden but a few days ago I had a flock of 16.

Also, I have two Blackbird territories converging on the garden and both have had two broods. The Swifts that screamed and swirlled over the house each evening have now gone - the first sign of autumn?

Dave

My count for the BTO and RSPB was 2. yesterday when I came back from holiday there were 11 on the feeders.

We have a regular visiting Blackbird with no tail. Seems to cope ok.

hi scott.
I must agree the blackbird is a favourite of mine its just his sheer
arrogant, and proud way when he lands in the garden, tail goes
up in the air and he looks around as if to say well look at me!!
but he takes some beating when it comes to his fatherly duties
he really does look after his brood.
bert.

What I admire about Blackbirds is how hard they work - have yo noticed how they are the first bird up in the morning and are still pottering around when all the other birds are roosting.

I had two adults for the RSPB Garden Birdwatch and they managed 4 fledglings in June. They started by feeding them on the ground but eventually the youngsters gained enough skill to land on the seed feeder themselves. Early July they were quite aggressive towards the Green- and Gold- finches but have since disappeared. The Goldfinches also managed 2 fledglings; they preferred perching on the clothesline to be fed. Now I seem to see Goldfinches in twos and occassional Greenfinches. Feed consumption is down to 20%.

Last edited:
GREAT TO HEAR YOU ARE SEEING LOTS OF HOUSE SPAROWS. I CURENTLY HAVE ROUGTHLY 30 SPAROWS VISITING MY GARDEN MAYBE THEY ARN'T DECLINING AS MUCH AS WE THINK

Hi Stonechat2

Welcome to the forum! Like the username, one of my favourite birds ;)

You're very lucky still to have that number, I've got none at all . . . got any spare you can send my way?!?

Michael

Hi stonechat 2. Welcome to BF. As Michael says you are very lucky to have 30 sparrows visit your garden. I live only 4 miles from you ,just outside Sedgley and we only have the occasional House sparrow visit. Cheers John.

Michael. I think the one we have is the one digi- birder promised me in another thread. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back