• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID'ing duck in OR (1 Viewer)

MikeMichaels

Several of us have tried unsuccessfully to ID this duck which was taken by a friend in eastern Oregon ... just on the east side of the cascades. Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• hosmer ducks - steve lay photo - cropped 018.jpg
    hosmer ducks - steve lay photo - cropped 018.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 249
looks like a Ring-necked Duck, some birds do lack the pale band near the bill tip. The pale eyering, dark-capped appearance and strong contrast between the neck and breast all strongly siggest RND.

Spud

Head shape's a bit too rounded and bill color too dark, but it's got to be a Ring-necked Duck, with that eye ring and post-ocular line. Immature, I think and maybe the bill is darker and unbanded in those?

Fair point about the head shape Charles but all aythya species have variable head shapes depending on whether they are relaxed or active. Birds which are actively feeding tend to sleek down the head feathers and these are rather shorter in young birds than adults and in females compared to males. Distinctive head shapes are therefore most obvious in adult males which are resting and least obvious in young females that are feeding/ actively diving.

Spud

OK, Mike. I'm going to get my bird guide and ID this duck. And I'll tell you what I found.
I'm looking now. I feeling like saying it's a female canvasback, but the bill's isn't long enough. It really looks like a female redhead, but they have tri-colored bills. Nothing else in this NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Field Guide to the Birds of North America really resembles the duck in the photo. I've really seen canvasbacks, but I've never seen a redhead.
marcus

Mike, I'm not much help on your duck, I'm afraid -- do you have a Sibley guide? It's great for showing a wide range of plumages.

Let me offer you a warm welcome to BirdForum, on behalf of the Admin and Moderators. As you can see from the replies you've already received, this site is full of friendly people more than willing to share (or debate!) their knowledge.

Hope you get a good answer soon, and have more pictures for the galleries -- we'd love to see them!

I'd like to also extend an invitation to the Great Global Bird Count -- GGBC 2. It's an event organized for counting birds world wide, and just for the joy of birding. We do have one participant so far from Spokane County, Washington, but another from your part of the woods would be very welcome! Full details are in the Member's Notice Board.

Female ring-necked duck? I'm not sure...the bill. It should have a ring. I see lots and lots of them in the winter.

Sorry logos, we were posting at the same time-- I wasn't commenting contra your observation, just commenting generally.

Marcus, Canvasback's head and bill form a great attentuated wedge shape that is unmistakeable. Redhead doesn't have the grey cheek and sharp separation from between throat and chest.

PS: and logos says-- some lack the ring.

Last edited:
My gut reaction was Ring-necked Duck too, but Aythya ducks are notorious for interbreeding and throwing up hybrids, so that is a possibility that will need to be borne in mind.
The big broad bill and rounded crown suggests RND x Greater Scaup is a possibility, but so too is RND x Redhead.

Michael

PS welcome to the forum from one Michael to another Michael!

As the bird is a juvenile (dark eye) the bill may not yet be fully developed and its apparent proportions would alter somewhat if the crown feathers were raised into the typical peak of a RND. I can see no reason to suspect a hybrid and still strongly believe this is a RND.

Spud

Imm Ring-necked Duck. The only feature possibly inconsistent with RND is the lack of a band on the bill. This can be very faint on immature birds though.

Thank you for the many outstanding posts to my original inquiry ... and thanks to many of you for the personal mail and welcome to the forum.

One thing that we origianlly focused on was the eye ring ... which is sort of limiting in most ID's and very helpful. Is this something that can be counted upon in this case?

Not to confuse or derail you from the task at hand ... but, I already have a few other canidate shots that I've taken that I'll post down the road to solcient your outstanding help and comments. I've got lots of great bird images!! <grin>

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back