• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Martin Update. (1 Viewer)

Wendy Morris

Evening all,

The House Martins seem to have sorted out their nesting arrangements. For the last few days there have only been two at the nest I showed you all at the end of last month. It wasn't until this evening though, that I discovered that the nest on the other gable end of the house is also being used. They are still mending this one as you will see in the pics, so they will have to get a move on now. In the 5 minutes or so that I was taking the pics they must have visited at least 20 times, some of which I captured others completely blank!

Attachments

• HM10.jpg
    HM10.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 29
  • HM 9.jpg
    HM 9.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 16
  • HM 11.jpg
    HM 11.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 15
  • HM 16.jpg
    HM 16.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 13
A close up or two.....

Attachments

• Close up HM.jpg
    Close up HM.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Close up HM 2.jpg
    Close up HM 2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 15
  • close up HM 3.jpg
    close up HM 3.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 18
Awww! Wendy they are Gorgeous you are so lucky to be able to watch their progress.

I have been looking at Weather Vanes this evening, some companies do all sorts of designs & I was very tempted by the House Martins. One company had 47 species of bird to choose from. Too many to choose from so I decided to stick to a traditional "cockerel"

Ooo, sorry to ramble Wendy! lol!

I love your gorgeous House Martin pics Wendy, well done

Hi Wendy.
Well done with the pics. You are lucky having the Swallows visit you; I'd love some. Please keep the updates coming.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Wendy.

No sweat about getting that nest repaired, they go on breeding for quite a while yet, right into early Autumn. They are often treble-brooded so even if your pair are a bit late they will probably just have 2 instead of 3.

Great photos, I'm looking forward to seeing the nestlings looking out in a few weeks time.

Bill.

Pleased to hear they've sorted out who's living where, as I said before you are very lucky to have them and to be able to watch their progress.

Isn't it amazing how that load of mud manages to stay up there and such a small space to get in and out too, as your third pics shows.

Well done with the pics, I imagine they must be very tricky to capture. The sixth one in particular is super.

Hi Wendy,
Super photos, well done. How lucky to have your very own House Martins!! Please keep us updated on their progress, I would love to see the babies, if and when. Good Luck with getting some more of those excellent pics.
All the Best Wendy,

Thank you all for your kind comments about the pictures. It was the usual P&L, with a lot of the latter! I simply pointed and kept shooting, there were a lot of blanks, but who cares!

I will indeed keep you updated about the youngsters in the coming weeks. This is the first time that both nests have been used in the same year since 2004 when we had so many flying around that it was difficult to keep up with them.

Lovely pics Wendy. I'm feeling a bit envious. I'm still hoping mine might turn up again. If they don't I will have to make do with following the progress of yours, which I will do anyway. Looking forward to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back