• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics entry levele scopes (1 Viewer)

by the way Steve, I checked EO's web site and they are now selling a fixed 30x wideangle eyepiece for the Raven.

Hey there,

Having become more interested in birding the past couple years, I think I need to move up to a better scope. I have been using two inexpensive BSA scopes that I use for shooting, a 12-36X and a 20-60X. The 20-60X is a completely awful unless at 20X, what a waste, might as well look at mud. The 12-36X is useable, but is not very bright and resolution suffers past 24X. Neither are waterproof.

I have read the reviews of the Raven, and they are not glowing, I know that it doesn't have the best resolution at it's top magnification, but, my current scopes are neither BaK or fully multi-coated. Considering that I am on a very tight budget, and am looking for a scope that is waterproof, my question is:

Will I see a marked improvement in resolution and brightness at 24X with the Raven, compared to what I have now?

Keep looking up...or down..or wherever they are...

Steve-O

Not having any experience with the scope you are using now, I can't really tell you how much difference you will see. I will tell you that some of my earlier digiscoping shots I took were taken through the Raven and I enjoyed it thoroughly for the year I had it. I then out grew it and moved on. For the money, I think it is a fine scope.

Ooops..sorry, I forgot..

EO is offering a free Radian Pro GT Tripod with each purchase of the Raven. I do not know how good this tripod is, I have never used one, but it retails for $119 US. I would prefer the coupon. :)

Steve-O

Steve-O said:
Hey there,

Having become more interested in birding the past couple years, I think I need to move up to a better scope. I have been using two inexpensive BSA scopes that I use for shooting, a 12-36X and a 20-60X.

--snipped--

Will I see a marked improvement in resolution and brightness at 24X with the Raven, compared to what I have now?

Keep looking up...or down..or wherever they are...

Steve-O

Steve,

You'll see a marked improvement. There will be a little color fringing with the Raven, but absolutely nothing like the muddiness you've seen with the BSA. For a budget scope, go for it... especially with the tripod deal, if they're still offering it.

GR

If I'm not mistaken, they will refund every penny if you are not happy with it so I don't see where you have anything to lose. I have dealt with them for a couple of years now and it has always been a wonderful experience.

Thanks GR and KC,

Wow! I've just been looking at the photos of KC, etow and sfitxgerald, some very nice pics! I saw somewhere that some Photo work might have been done, but you have to start with a good pic or you get crap. Very nice pics!

Thanks KC and GR, you may have made up my mind. I appreciate your information. I do not plan on taking pics...yet. :) Right now I just want to SEE! Pics may come later...where does get a "T plate" for a Minolta? (Damn, now ya got me thinkin'!)

Again, my thanks,

Steve-O

I did an experiment with my new Canon 10D and my Raven (non-apo) spotting scope. I used the Raven photo-adapter to hook the two up. This gave me 800mm. I had some chromatic coloration which I removed. I cropped and sharpened etc. to get this result.

Image attached.

Attachments

• HOFI-cfg.jpg
    HOFI-cfg.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 342
I started a thread comparing two brands.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=255387

I have now given up on the Denali. The Raven seems to leave room for upgrades, like the 30x eye piece.

But I am a bit unhappy with the 20-60x range. I would actually like to have 15x available in these beginner scopes, as it is brighter there. Good for bad weather scoping.

The other one I am looking at is from Nikon, 60mm, with 15-45x. I am quite happy at 45x most times.

Anybody get much use of the Raven at 60x?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back