• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra ED vs Conquest. (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I have read in several places that the quality, let's say general, not only optical, of the Zeiss Terra model is one step below the Conquest model, the price is not the same, that's clear ... + But I've also read it once that the particular model Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 should carry the name Conquest instead of Terra, due to the quality it has, very similar to that of the Conquest models.
What do you think about it ? Maybe a marketing question?
Thanks for your comments.
Wachi

Hello,
I have read in several places that the quality, let's say general, not only optical, of the Zeiss Terra model is one step below the Conquest model, the price is not the same, that's clear ... + But I've also read it once that the particular model Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 should carry the name Conquest instead of Terra, due to the quality it has, very similar to that of the Conquest models.
What do you think about it ? Maybe a marketing question?
Thanks for your comments.
Wachi

The x32 and x42 Terra are made in China and to a very modest set of standards. They are unexceptional cheap roofs.
The x25 Terra is made in Japan and perhaps also to a higher standard. It is a pretty nice pocket roof, better than many competitors.

--AP

I agree with Alexis. The Terra I had, the 8x32 is mediocre at best, and paled in comparison to my Leupold Mojave 8x32. Build quality was average at best. I wound up giving it to a kid down the street who needed them.

Alexis, do you think they are made at the same level as the Conquest models?

I would say not, or at least they weren't initially. I don't really have much basis for that judgement except that initial production of the 8x25 was plagued by issues with floppy hinges, and I got a later unit (slightly different armor design) that was still not stiff enough and was optically flawed in one barrel (couldn't reach critically sharp focus). The most recent production is supposed to have addressed a variety of quality control issues (according to what I was told by customer service at Zeiss USA), and the last unit I received was without those flaws. I've not heard similar complaints about the Conquest.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back