• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A neat adaptor for the Samsung NV3 (1 Viewer)

I have one of these which I use on my Opticron. While that is no help to you I purchased it from Focal Optics outside Warrington (they speicalise in binoculars & scopes). Their phone number is 01925 730399. He is a really nice guy and will give you the answer.
They also have a web site and you can contact by e-mail.

NV3 Samsung adaptor

Thanks all

I've spoken to Focalpoint as recommended by David Smith. They say that the adaptor will fit all, and inside you use different size rings to suit the make of scope. In the case of the Swarovski it's a 45mm.

The kit is quite expensive though as you have to buy the clamp, the adaptor and the insert - total is about £79 all up.

There was one question that Focalpoint couldn't answer and maybe David Smith can? When you look at the photos, on the Opticron website, of the attached camera how does the clamp actually hold the camera? There appears to be two knurled screws, but what stops the camera itself from damage or falling out?

Thanks for any help!

Pterodroma said:
There was one question that Focalpoint couldn't answer and maybe David Smith can? When you look at the photos, on the Opticron website, of the attached camera how does the clamp actually hold the camera? There appears to be two knurled screws, but what stops the camera itself from damage or falling out?
You can download the user manual on the Opticron site, which tells you how to fit the clam mount on the camera. It appears you loosen the two thumb screws on the back, slide the clam mount over the camera and retighten the screws.

Edit. Looking at the photos a bit closer it appears that the lens side of the clam mount fits around the lens surround and it is this which stops it moving when the screws are tightened.

Last edited:
Once you have set it up and adjusted the clamps then the camera just slides in & out but is held quite firmly-it is very simple once you see it.

NV3 Adaptor

Thanks David

I've gone ahead and ordered one from Focalpoint, and I'm told should receive it during next week, after Easter.

As I'm ordering on spec they've agreed that if it doesn't do the job, or any problem with mounting to the Swarovski scope, that I can return it...

Cool. Will hope you report back with good news about it working with the Swaro scope well.

Did the £79 figure include the cable release attachment?

Last edited:
David Smith said:
Once you have set it up and adjusted the clamps then the camera just slides in & out but is held quite firmly-it is very simple once you see it.

I would not recommend that anybody try this.

The the clam mount is very easy to deploy with two small grub screws and holds the camera firmly in place. As the clam mount covers the small integral flash of the NV3 it is recommended that the flash is disabled, otherwise the heat from the flash will burn the coating off the clam mount, this is clearly stated in the Opticron PDF that you can download from the website.

The clam mount for the NV3 will fit the Swarovski DCA and the the more fiddly EagleEye 4-grub screw adapter so will be suitable for a whole range of different scopes. As for the old-style AT80 then Swarovski make an insert for their DCA so you will be able to use the Opticron DCC mini kit with your scope.

I have attached a picture of a pair of Scaup taken with the NV3 the Opticron DCC and an ES80 ED scope taken at Seaforth earlier this year

Last edited:
Andrew said:
Will hope you report back with good news about it working with the Swaro scope well. Did the £79 figure include the cable release attachment?
Hi Andrew

The price unfortunately was wrong. Corrected on the second phone call, the total was £88, though Focalpoint are supplying the right size 45mm insert (shown as being £9 extra from Opticron) and there's no postage charge. This doesn't include the cable release though, which is a further £14.99 (according to Opticron)

Chris Galvin said:
The the clam mount is very easy to deploy with two small grub screws and holds the camera firmly in place. As the clam mount covers the small integral flash of the NV3 it is recommended that the flash is disabled, otherwise the heat from the flash will burn the coating off the clam mount, this is clearly stated in the Opticron PDF that you can download from the website.
Thanks for the gen Chris. Once fitted to the camera do you leave the clam on - i.e. it can still take shots?

One thing that I've found annoying about the NV3 is that you have to manually turn off the flash each time it's turned on, that is if it's on Auto mode. You have to actually check that the flash is disabled each time....unless you know different? It defaults to this each time. Is there a way of changing the default so the flash is permanently 'off' when Auto is selected?

Chris Galvin said:
As for the old-style AT80 then Swarovski make an insert for their DCA so you will be able to use the Opticron DCC mini kit with your scope
I haven't got the Swarovski DCA, for those that have though this would help when changing to a NV3.

According to Focalpoint when buying the adaptor, and correct insert, that should suit those others like me. I'll report back once I've received it, and given it a test

Chris Galvin said:
I have attached a picture of a pair of Scaup taken with the NV3 the Opticron DCC and an ES80 ED scope
Good one!

I think I might be understanding a little more now. I already have an adaptor for the Coolpix to the Swaro 20-60x eyepiece. Does that reduce the number of parts I would need?

Pterodroma said:
One thing that I've found annoying about the NV3 is that you have to manually turn off the flash each time it's turned on, that is if it's on Auto mode. You have to actually check that the flash is disabled each time....unless you know different? It defaults to this each time. Is there a way of changing the default so the flash is permanently 'off' when Auto is selected?

Dont use the camera on Auto for digiscoping, the best setting i have found is to set it to the "P" dial then set up the various settings, main ones being spot metering and spot focus, use the flash symbol on the silver circle around the menu button to bring up the suppressed flash symbol, ie. a lightning symbol with a line through it, go through the various options until you see the correct symbol halfway down on the left hands side of the screen, all the settings will stay the same, all you then have to alter is the ISO speed, White Balance and Exposure as required when you power up the camera, its one of the most simplest cameras to use, when all else fails, move the dial to the Anti shake dial "A/S" this does choose its own ISO setting depending on the light available, but it does take reasonable pics

Paul

Thanks for that, Paul. I've been trying shots using Auto and 'P' mode to see the differences but now with the warning about 'burning' the adaptor I'll stick only to programmable mode for digiscoping.

It was 'rumoured' that you had something to do with the new Opticron system for the NV3. Would you like to comment? If not, have you tried it yourself? Do you have any opinion on the design and use?

Thanks in advance

Pterodroma said:
Thanks for that, Paul. I've been trying shots using Auto and 'P' mode to see the differences but now with the warning about 'burning' the adaptor I'll stick only to programmable mode for digiscoping.

It was 'rumoured' that you had something to do with the new Opticron system for the NV3. Would you like to comment? If not, have you tried it yourself? Do you have any opinion on the design and use?

Thanks in advance

The design is simple and compact, one of the most minimalist pieces of digsicoping kit i have seen in a long time, will try it out in Florida next week as i have been invited to one of the big birding festivals out there to talk about digsicoping, will let you know on my return

Rgds

Paul

PS You shouldnt listen to rumours, only facts!

Andrew said:
I think I might be understanding a little more now. I already have an adaptor for the Coolpix to the Swaro 20-60x eyepiece. Does that reduce the number of parts I would need?
Maybe I need to rephrase that...........

I have an adaptor for the Coolpix 4500 to the Swaro 20-60x zoom eyepiece.

I now have a Samsung NV3 and am interested in the new adaptor mentioned here. Is it possible to use the new concept with my existing adaptor to reduce the number of parts I would need to order?

Andrew said:
Maybe I need to rephrase that...........

I have an adaptor for the Coolpix 4500 to the Swaro 20-60x zoom eyepiece.

I now have a Samsung NV3 and am interested in the new adaptor mentioned here. Is it possible to use the new concept with my existing adaptor to reduce the number of parts I would need to order?

Andrew,

The answer to your question is YES. The DCC from Opticron is in kit-form and the clam with the remote release arm has a thread on it that will fit on the Swarovski DCA.

Good Luck

Hi Chris,

Cool, thanks for that. I reckon I may opt for this option as opposed to designing my own adaptor.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Monitor shade / 2x enlarger

I've just bought a Samsung NV3 intending it to be a replacement for the CP4500 that I've been using for several years with a Swarovski AT80HD.

I needed a 28/28 step up ring to attached my existing adaptor and it works just fine. My problem is that I just can't see the screen. With the Coolpix I've been using a monitor shade / 2x enlarger (supplied by Eagle-Eye) which I attach using Velcro. The larger screen of the Samsung presents a new challenge.

Does anyone have any suggestions that will help me see the screen - without having to put on my reading glasses before taking each picture!

pdedicoat said:
I've just bought a Samsung NV3 intending it to be a replacement for the CP4500 that I've been using for several years with a Swarovski AT80HD.

I needed a 28/28 step up ring to attached my existing adaptor and it works just fine. My problem is that I just can't see the screen. With the Coolpix I've been using a monitor shade / 2x enlarger (supplied by Eagle-Eye) which I attach using Velcro. The larger screen of the Samsung presents a new challenge.

Does anyone have any suggestions that will help me see the screen - without having to put on my reading glasses before taking each picture!
I am of to majorca on Monday and I thought this may help with the strong light I am hoping to encounter. It has been used so far over the last week and i find it will be superb.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=8353

Dont take any notice of the image they supply as it's more akin to the eagleye type which has a circular glass piece in the middle of the bellow. This is glass and is 2X mag which you put your eye up against.

Hope this helps a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back