• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird with Broken Wing??? (1 Viewer)

LasterA

Hello, I am new to this site.....I have a few questions......

My husband called me today b/c he had been watching this little blue bird struggle all day long with a broken wing.....so needless to say we brought him home. He is in a box with a blanket in a quite place to try and calm is nerves for the moment.

I called the local emergency vet and they do not do wildlife. They directed me to another location but I can not get ahold of anyone. But also on the other end we do not have a lot of money for the vet.....

so do you think it is possible for us to heal him in our home?? He has no cuts or blood anywhere it is just his wing. I feel for the little guy...I want to help....has anyone ever done this? How would I go about doing this??

Any suggestions would be gladly welcomed!!!

Thanks!
Mrs. A

Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Okay, first, thanks for caring enough about the bird to do something about it.

Now, here is a list of Wisconsin Wildlife Rehabiltators. Find one close to you and first thing in the a.m. start making phone calls. Thankfully, with the breeding season over with, there is a much better chance of some of them not being inundated with calls so help should be fairly fast in coming. Here's the link

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildlife/rehabilitators/wisconsin-rehabilitators.html

You should not be charged anything although I am sure they will never turn away a donation - no matter how small. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Thank you so much for the info!
We actually just got back from an emergency clinic that helps with wildlife and they are going to take care of the little guy tonight and give him to the humane society rehab tomorrow. I hope he heals and can be returned to the wild.

Thanks so much!

You're more than welcome.

Hope we get to hear more about the wild birds you see in your area in the coming months.

so do you think it is possible for us to heal him in our home?? He has no cuts or blood anywhere it is just his wing. I feel for the little guy...I want to help....has anyone ever done this? How would I go about doing this??

poor little fellow, hope he´s gonna be ok.

i found a blue tit once with a broken wing and took him home, too.
as we had a parakeet it was not a real problem to keep him for
a while until he got better and we could let him fly again.
when we opened the door and let him out, he flew on top of
the next tree and sang - maybe even for us.

best wishes, thor.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back