• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Italian birder in Scotland 13-17 Dec. (1 Viewer)

Dear all,

I am going to spend few days in your beautifull country and of course I need to do some birding ;).
I will start from Glasgow and I will move with a Van.
I know are only few days and in a difficult period for birding (whether conditions/daylight hours) but I am sure I can make nice observations.

It would be great to receive advices on the best locations for birding or simply nice natural areas to visit!!
What web sites should I check for bird news?
My main target would be the Scottish Crossbill. And here I list other species interesting for me (I am not pretending to see them all, a couple of them would be great;))

bewick's swan
Pink footed goose
brent goose
purple sandpiper
grey phalarope
iceland gull
glaucos gull
black guillemot
lapland bunting

Thanks for your help!!
I m really really curious about this short trip:t:
Best,

Pietro
PhD Student in Ornithology

Dear all,

I am going to spend few days in your beautifull country and of course I need to do some birding ;).
I will start from Glasgow and I will move with a Van.
I know are only few days and in a difficult period for birding (whether conditions/daylight hours) but I am sure I can make nice observations.

It would be great to receive advices on the best locations for birding or simply nice natural areas to visit!!
What web sites should I check for bird news?
My main target would be the Scottish Crossbill. And here I list other species interesting for me (I am not pretending to see them all, a couple of them would be great;))

bewick's swan
Pink footed goose
brent goose
purple sandpiper
grey phalarope
iceland gull
glaucos gull
black guillemot
lapland bunting

Thanks for your help!!
I m really really curious about this short trip:t:
Best,

Pietro
PhD Student in Ornithology

Hi Pietro,

A few comments on the species you're interested in seeing:

Scottish Crossbill:
You will probably need to go to areas in the Highlands such as Speyside or Deeside. To identify them with certainty you will need to make recordings and sonograms. Parrot and Common Crossbills are found in the same areas.

Bewick's swan:
Not very common in Scotland and I don't know of any regular sites. Maybe someone else knows though. You should be able to find Whooper Swan more easily.

Pink footed goose:
Common and numerous in many areas of central and eastern Scotland. The best place to find them will depend a bit on other areas you plan to visit, but this is much the easiest bird on your list.

Brent goose:
Not particularly numerous in Scotland but small numbers of pale-bellied are often found on various estuaries e.g. the Eden in Fife. If you go a little south of Scotland to Lindisfarne in Northumberland I think they're more numerous.

Purple sandpiper:
Fairly common on rocky coasts in both the east and west. They're quite numerous here in Aberdeen at Girdle Ness, but can be found further south too e.g. at St Andrews in Fife and I suspect near Edinburgh too (less sure on the best sites though).

Grey phalarope:
Rare in Scotland, particularly in winter. One might be reported somewhere but this isn't a species you should expect to see at all.

Iceland gull and Glaucous gull:
Numbers vary from year to year but they are most regularly found in fishing harbours. They're normally quite scarce so check for reports. They can potentially be found in lots of places, but Peterhead and Fraserburgh in northeast Scotland are particularly good.

Black guillemot:
Easier on the west coast than the east, where they're generally scarce south of Inverness. Oban is a very good place to see them but it should be possible to find them along much of the Argyll coast.

Lapland bunting:
Usually scarce in winter and there are no regular sites. Check for reports but otherwise I don't think you're very likely to find this species.

Whilst there may be bad weather it's probably more likely to be in the form of wind and rain than snow and ice (though both are possible). Also be prepared for the short day length.

In terms of places to visit, I think the best options would be to either head to the east or west coasts. A day in Fife could take in Vane Farm (geese and widlfowl), Largo Bay (some seaduck, perhaps including Surf Scoter, grebes, divers, Purple Sandpiper), St Andrews and Eden Estuary (maybe Brent Geese, Purple Sandpipers and other waders). Lothian could produce similar opportunities e.g. Musselburgh, Aberlady, Dunbar. The west coast e.g. Oban should produce Black Guillemot and maybe some good gulls. It could be combined with a trip to Mull for White-tailed and Golden Eagles etc. The Ayrshire coast is also good, although I don't know it very well.

I should also give a quick plug for Islay in the Inner Hebrides. It's completely beautiful and probably as good as anywhere in Scotland for birds in winter. You would see tens of thousands of geese (mostly Barnacles, Greenland Whitefronts and Greylags but Brent is likely and Red-breasted and 'small' Canada Geese are also around), lots of other wildfowl and waders (including Purple Sandpiper), raptors including Golden and possibly White-tailed Eagle, Black Guillemot, Great Northern Diver and numerous other birds. Iceland and Glaucous Gull are both quite possible too.

Grazie mille Andrew!! Wow
Thank you Andrew for your generous answer.
I dunno how the phalarope sneaked into this list :), it was on my far fetched list!
I wrote my list based on the SOC one excluding the vagrants.

I know about the difficulties in recognizing the crossbills...but it is worthy to give it a try, I ve a recorder and I am listening to its calls every day since a month:)!
(btw I am studing bird's calls as a job:))

Yes, you are definitely right I will choose one coast and go for it.
In term of website where could I check for observations? Is the map that birdforum provides complete enough?

best wishes to all

Pietro

Things like the BirdForum map are useful and there is often quite a bit of information on here on the rarer birds. However, for some of the birds you're looking for you may need to check other information sources. Birdguides and RBA both have information, but you have to pay to get more details. I think Birdguides do one month for £5 (one service) which is not too bad. They and RBA have apps available for free too (but again you pay for more than basic information).

Good free options include various local bird news services. In northeast Scotland we have this:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ABZ-Rare-Birds/
This is probably as good if not better than paid services for the region. Lothian has:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lothianbirdnews/
The best source for Islay is this, although it's only updated once a day:
http://islaybirds.blogspot.co.uk/
There are other sites for other parts of Scotland, although I don't know all of them.

Some other Yahoo! Groups, but I do recommend applying to join the groups asap to ensure you are accepted before you arrive:

Ayrshire: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ayrshirebirding/?yguid=506114624
Forth: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ForthBirding/?yguid=506114624

BirdGuides offer a free 3 day trial that would give you full access to all info on their news service, via the web. Register strategically to cover your trip! When I joined there was no need to supply bank details or anything. http://www.birdguides.com/login/whyregister.asp?&menu=menu_login

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Also - not sure if you're heading to the far North but Thurso harbour/river mouth can have Glaucous and Iceland Gulls quite regularly once they're in for a while and Black Guillemots are easily seen at Scrabster Harbour. There is also a King Eider in the area to the north east of Inverness if you're in that area. There are some very good bird guides based around Inverness if you decide to have a day with an expert.

Pink Foot and Purp Sand easy to get in Morayshire. Good chance of Iceland or Glaucous as well. Scottish Crossbill, as stated not easy to nail the ID but Abernethy as good a place as any. Also superb supporting stars such as Velvet and Common Scoter, Long Tailed Ducks, Slavonian Grebes and the off chance of King Eider.

Hope you have a nice trip!

Dave

Hi

Brent Geese are easy at the Maidens and I've seen Purple Sandpiper here too.Both have game me great views here. Have seen Black Guilimot most places along the west coast though they are really easy at Troon and any other harbours, both places mentioned are in Ayrshire. Sometimes Iceland and Glaucous gulls are found inland at places like Hogganfield Loch and any dump that has plenty of gulls is worth a look. Hogganfield is a great place to see Whooper Swans, ok their not bewicks but they will take food from the hand but a completely wild- they migrate to Iceland like any other Whoopers. There is also a tame gadwall which feeds on seeds and bread with the mallards.

Hope I've helped a bit, good luck on your trip

cheers Andy

Last edited:
Thank you guys!!!
That's exactly what I was looking for!
I hope to report soon interesting observation:)

best regards
grazie mille e un caro saluto!!!

Pietro

Scottish Crossbill is rarer than rocking horse doodoo ! At this time of year check areas of mixed conifer esp. Larch spp and Lodgepole NOT the native Scots Pine (that is where the Parrots live, and these are the true Scottish Crossbills !).

see http://pinemuncher.blogspot.co.uk for more crossbill info.

LC

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back