• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Berry Head Possibilities (1 Viewer)

Gerry Hooper

Certified User
G'Day All,
I've never had much luck Seawatching but tomorrow the weather looks good.
Strong Southerlies with rain , then clearing. Would it be worth going to Berry Head or Hope's Nose with my new telescope, Storm Petrel was reported on the south coast last week in similar conditions.
Whattadaya think? Should I give it a go at Hopes Nose or should I bury head in the duvet till the rain stops 'n be lazy?

I can say if there was a good transport link to Berry Head or Hope's Nose I would be there quite often and expecting Storm Petrels right now with a few Manxies as a possibility. I think it is known to be much more productive in Autumn with many species of seabirds putting in an appearance and a good chance of Sabine's Gull in a south easterly wind. I once went there for five days in the holiday park on Berry Head and the weather did not play fair with the best I got being Kittiwake.

No doubt Bluetail will see this thread and hopefully he may have a better opinion than I can muster.

Afraid I'm no expert on Hope's Nose, but as I understand it the wind has to be south-east; pure south isn't good enough. Since south-easterlies are rare and usually occur mid week when I'm not free to go - which is why I haven't much experience of the site. But Andrew's certainly right that it's more reliable in autumn than in spring. Even so, it has occasionally produced the goods: I remember reading an article in Devon Birds (or somewhere) about remarkable spring passage of Poms one year and the weather conditions that produced it, but unfortunately I couldn't find it when I looked just now and I've got to go out this evening.

Thanks Folks,
I think I'll probably go for it.
I've had some good days in autumn there, with Sooty Shearwater and good numbers of Skuas but I've never been at this time of year.
'll let you know if I see anything, assuming I go of course!
C'ya soon

Seawatching can always produce surprises, but I wouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary. You will probably get the odd Stormie, Manx, or even Balearic but not much else - except very very wet!

Darrell

No, lots of Gannets and Kittiwakes and a distant Manxie.
Came home to find a Storm Petrel reported from Hope's Nose.I didn't even see the person who saw it!!
Time for a beer or three. :-C

Thats sea watching, a friend of a friend had 2 Corys at Hartland Point last week in those strong gales, N.Devon I know, but ....

The best advise for sea watching is to get a good vantage point and use it often, early mornings is normally best, 9 times outta 10 it will be a waste of time, but that one time when something special happens will make it all worth while!!!

Stu B :)

Cheers Stuart, I'll keep trying. I am begining to think that Storm Petrels don't exist outside of identification books, they're put in there to wind me up, along with Hawfinch, Jack Snipe,Tree Sparrow....and all the other birds I've spent ages looking for and never seen. :'D

Good luck, Ive only seen stormies off the land at Portland bill, but you never know after some really bad weather....

Tree sparrow are very unusual in Devon, but if you go farther north, they are easy, Ive seen plenty in Shropshire.

B :)

For your Jack Snipe and Hawfinch try a few days in Yorkshire (Lower Derwent Valley and Studley Royal Deer Park respectively) in early spring. Then come up to my back garden in Durham for your Tree Sparrows!

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back