• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identify big bird! (2 Viewers)

Pargaret

We are sitting on our balcony in Somerville, and there is a large bird perched on the house across the street. We can't figure out what it is. We estimate it's about 12-14 inches tall. It is brown with a hawk-like body but a slender neck and head. The beak does not look curved, but it's hard to tell because it's so far away.

My boyfriend says it looks like a huge, fat morning dove.

Help??|:S|

Welcome to the forum.

Where is Somerville? This is a world-wide forum, so please be specific.

Mike

Pictures!

Here's a couple of pictures. Best we could get!

Attachments

• IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 257
Sorry, thought this was a Massachusetts forum. Somerville, MA, USA. Northeast.

My mistake, I didn't notice that you posted in the Massachusetts forum.

Your bird is most likely a Red-tailed Hawk, but I am not sure a positive i.d. can be made from these pics. If it is a juvenile it won't have the reddish tail yet.

Mike

It's a hawk for sure but can't really help more than that, wouldn'y argue with Red Tailed though. B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back