• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Blue Heron (1 Viewer)

Mila

Well, it is a very common bird, but I wonder what do you think about composition?
Thanks.

Attachments

• heron.jpg
    heron.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 297
As KC said great focussing but overall the photo is too fussy and distracting. The eye needs to be drawn to the subject and unfortunately in this photo it's not IMHO!

Shane

As KC said great focussing but overall the photo is too fussy and distracting. The eye needs to be drawn to the subject and unfortunately in this photo it's not IMHO!

Shane

Thank you for your opinion, which I respect!
One of my favorite subject in the photography is photographing camouflaged animals. It is relatively easy to find and photograph camouflaged fishes, insects, frogs and even lioness against yellow savanna grass, and I did photograph them all. Please sea for example this devil scorpionfish (Inimicus didactylus) , which I photographed in Hawaii http://epod.usra.edu/.a/6a0105371bb32c970b01b8d0ac679f970c-pi Do you see my suject right away or your eyes need to be drawn to it?
With birds, at least with birds in SF it is harder. Of course there are great horned owls, and sometimes they are camouflaged very well, maybe some other birds too. With herons it is different. It is not a problem to take a nice image of a heron with a nice background, nice light, and so on, but I took so many such pictures that I have became kind of bored of them. So I've decided to try something different:the subject that eyes should be drawn to, just as you said. I know the heron did not try to be camouflaged, but it looked that way, so I photographed the bird in the grass.

Last edited:

This is a matter of taste, I think. For me the photography perfectly captures the skulking nature of this fabulous ambush predator. This is a bird that does not want to be seen. It's supposed to be difficult to view perfectly.

This is a matter of taste, I think. For me the photography perfectly captures the skulking nature of this fabulous ambush predator. This is a bird that does not want to be seen. It's supposed to be difficult to view perfectly.
Thank you, but I cannot take a credit for photographing a difficult subject. Herons are common in Golden Gate Park, and they hardly care about people. They are very easy to approach and to photograph. They would only react on a person who is running, otherwise they mind their own business, ignoring people with cameras. Actually a few days ago a heron killed a gopher right in front of me https://youtu.be/c19AAOQ3GOA
I did not a good job with this video partly because he was way too close.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back