• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

For Critique: Barred Owl Photos (1 Viewer)

Rapala

These photos are the result of a chance encounter with a Barred Owl just several days ago. I spotted the owl fly across the road, and it remained in the nearby trees for several minutes These are three of the better photos, but I'm not sure which I like best. The bright gray sky in the background of photos 2 and 3 is a drawback, however, photos 2 and 3 are slightly sharper than photo number 1. Which do you prefer and why?

EXIF (all photos)
1/400
f/5.6
ISO 1000

Taken with Canon T4i and Canon 400 f/5.6L lens
Minor adjustments made in Adobe Lightroom 6

Thanks for the critique!

Attachments

• BAOW1i.jpg
    BAOW1i.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 212
  • BAOW2i.jpg
    BAOW2i.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 173
  • BAOW3i.jpg
    BAOW3i.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Yeah, #1 is a bit soft, otherwise it would be my first choice. Of the other two, #3 is best in my opinion because of the direction of gaze and overall expression. You could always darken the sky a bit in post-processing (though it looks fine on my monitor. . .).

Last edited:
Number 3 for me. No 1 is softer than 2 and 3 but prefer the eye/head in 3. It's looking straighter in the lens. Of course just a personal choice.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back