• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pileated Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

SanAngelo

I feel really stupid asking for help with this.

I know these are not quality photos with the a lot of enhancing possibilities however, I've been asked to share them with others from a recent hiking, fishing trip.

I do no photo editing other than light adjustment, by way of the Windows 10 photo app or whatever it's called, and when I do it's mostly for bird identification.

Anyway, if someone could help by making one of these photos more presentable I would appreciate it. I need only one good one out of the group.

Link 1 to photo prior to resizing.

Link 2 to photo prior to resizing.

Link 3 to photo prior to resizing.

Link 4 to photo prior to resizing.

Thanks

Attachments

• PW-1.jpg
    PW-1.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 242
  • PW-2.jpg
    PW-2.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 198
  • PW-3.jpg
    PW-3.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 190
These are beautiful as they are but I fidgeted with a couple but, in no way, are they better than your images. I tweeked the levels of lightness and cropped a couple.

Attachments

• 6630920a8e2.jpg
    6630920a8e2.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 6630920a8e2a.jpg
    6630920a8e2a.jpg
    827.9 KB · Views: 176
  • PW-3b.jpg
    PW-3b.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 206
I can't take the credit. I'm sure I had the Pani on Ai+, it did all the work.

I also tried light'ing them up but it loses the richness, reds & blacks, from the originals.

Thanks KC, I appreciate the help.

My personal favorite of the bunch is photo #1 from the original posting for a couple of reasons. First, the focus seems to be the best in this shot. The two woodpeckers are on the same plane of focus, meaning that they are both sharp. This is better than photo #2, again referring to the original post, where the focus appears to be behind the birds. I also like the position of the two birds facing each other, although Link 4 is a photo displaying the action and character of these birds. Once lightened and cropped, photo #1 makes a pretty decent photo. Unfortunately, you cannot bring the crop too tight because you are limited by the resolution of the photo. You want to keep the photo from appearing grainy while maintaining the detail and color of the birds as observed in the field. That said, I think KC's second image is a good compromise for this image. Link 4 would have been my favorite, however, the focus is better in photo #1 which is the photo I would choose to share. Ultimately the choice is yours!

.....I think KC's second image is a good compromise for this image. Link 4 would have been my favorite, however, the focus is better in photo #1 which is the photo I would choose to share. Ultimately the choice is yours!

Thanks for breaking it down.

I agree, don't think I'll get anything better than KC's #2. However, I'll probably stay with the my original #1. KC would probably agree also.

Photo goes out after the holiday, on the 5th.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back