• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some guidance please (1 Viewer)

Peaky-B

Hi....I'm considering buying an Opticron MM4 GA ED 60mm and wanted some pointers/ assistance in choosing a tripod if I go down this route.

I'm likely to buy a 2nd hand tripod if I can if possible (trying to maximise on the funds available) and I'd prefer to stay sub £100 for the tripod if possible. Ive seen an Opticron 42804, would this be suitable and are they any good? Thanks folks for any assistance...:t:

Last edited:
I bought a MM4 with the 3-section-tripod, and replaced the original with a Gitzo-systematic. That's not your price-level, but look here for the leg-angles: I foung the 23 degrees far more stable than the 20 degrees of the opticron - beside some other specs of the systematic. Lokk for a similiar Sirui or other, but take care of the leg-angles.
You can read some more in my described (with some link-in-links) decision in the german-forum.

stable stand
Manfred

I bought a MM4 with the 3-section-tripod, and replaced the original with a Gitzo-systematic. That's not your price-level, but look here for the leg-angles: I foung the 23 degrees far more stable than the 20 degrees of the opticron - beside some other specs of the systematic. Lokk for a similiar Sirui or other, but take care of the leg-angles.
You can read some more in my described (with some link-in-links) decision in the german-forum.

stable stand
Manfred

Thanks very much Manfred I will take a look...:t:

I wouldn't rule out Gitzo as they sometimes (rarely) come up cheap. However at £100 it is unlikely though I did it (a G1329 Systematic + G1318 center column for £100!) but I am a Spawny git with Gitzos!

More realistically a decent 2 series (about 28mm top section leg diameter) carbon fibre tripod should do a nice job. Have a look at used models from Gitzo, Benro, Induro, Feisol etc. Two of my friends have the Feisol Tournament models which do a reasonably good job and a very light.

Hi,

as for tripods my usual rules are:

- 3 section as this gives better stability due to less lugs and more lower section diameter.

- max load should be at least double of what you plan to put on there (head, scope, EP, maybe digiscoping adapter and camera).

- height should be chosen so you can comfortably use the scope with the center column down (or mostly so). You'll have to add 15-20cm for the head and some 10-15cm for the scope itself...

- a hook at the lower end of the center column to hang some weight like a backpack on it is nice - unless you use a mulepack...

- twist lugs preferred as there are less things to go wrong.

The following ebay offer looks a lot like what I got for cheap (some even older Velbon legs). The 2way non-fluid head is most likely going to be not great for use with a spotting scope but the legs will be fine. Maybe a bit too expensive (mine was 90-100€ or so) but you could try a lowball offer...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velbon-C...749383?hash=item1a77f5d587:g:hhsAAOSw6PtchkQo

Joachim

Last edited:
I wouldn't rule out Gitzo as they sometimes (rarely) come up cheap. However at £100 it is unlikely though I did it (a G1329 Systematic + G1318 center column for £100!) but I am a Spawny git with Gitzos!

More realistically a decent 2 series (about 28mm top section leg diameter) carbon fibre tripod should do a nice job. Have a look at used models from Gitzo, Benro, Induro, Feisol etc. Two of my friends have the Feisol Tournament models which do a reasonably good job and a very light.

Thanks John...that's helpful l will take a good look at the ones you mentioned.

Hi,

as for tripods my usual rules are:

- 3 section as this gives better stability due to less lugs and more lower section diameter.

- max load should be at least double of what you plan to put on there (head, scope, EP, maybe digiscoping adapter and camera).

- height should be chosen so you can comfortably use the scope with the center column down (or mostly so). You'll have to add 15-20cm for the head and some 10-15cm for the scope itself...

- a hook at the lower end of the center column to hang some weight like a backpack on it is nice - unless you use a mulepack...

- twist lugs preferred as there are less things to go wrong.

The following ebay offer looks a lot like what I got for cheap (some even older Velbon legs). The 2way non-fluid head is most likely going to be not great for use with a spotting scope but the legs will be fine. Maybe a bit too expensive (mine was 90-100€ or so) but you could try a lowball offer...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velbon-C...749383?hash=item1a77f5d587:g:hhsAAOSw6PtchkQo

Joachim

Hi Joachim ......they seem very sensible pointers, thankyou. I was looking at that eBay offering myself but wasnt sure if it was suitable. Thanks again....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back