• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht 8x30 vs new CL companon 8x30 B (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I purchased my first "real" binocular a few months ago. My main intention was to buy a high quality lightweight binocular, which will hopefully last me a lifetime and is well suited for general wildlife and nature observation on hiking and trekking tours.

I do enjoy nice optics but I am by far not as knowledgeable as so many other members here, so all statements below are only based on my own impressions.

Before purchasing a new bin I did a lot of research and ended up comparing the new CL Companion 8x30, the Habicht 8x30, and the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 at a local retailer and guess what...I ended up buying the Habicht.

I dismissed the the Zeiss quite fast despite its brillant optics. Main reason was the build quality which did not convince me at all. Two well used samples I was able to try had both a very loose hinge and focus know. Maybe it was simply bad luck as many users here on BF are very enthusiastic about the Victory Pocket, but it somehow did not feel right for me to spend a considerable amount of money on it after trying two binos which both showed the same quality issues.

The CL 8x30 seems to be an outstanding binocular and its optical quality and diminutive size are impressive and I was tempted purchasing this one.

However, different reviews and BF threads on the Habicht somehow made me curious so I ended up testing this one as well. What shall I say ... its center sharpness, the 3D view, and the build quality simply amazed me. I already had the luck to observe some Chamois several times during sunrise here in the Swiss alps and it was a revelation. I did not feel as an observer dozens of metres away, but like standing midst among them. While observing wildlife and enjoying landscapes, the image simply feels alive.

As already mentioned by other users, the Habicht shows some glare in certain lighting situations, but it has never obstructed my view and is thus not a big issue for me. Moreover, I was able to reduce the glare by unscrewing the original eyecups and attach some Chinese microscope eyecups as discussed in the following thread:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=367763

The focus is rather stiff but loosens up after some time and works perfect for me. However, I can imagine that the focus might be an issue for serious birders.

When it comes to edge sharpness, the CL 8x30 is superior to the Habicht, but this is not of relevance for me while using the binoculars out in the field, as the sweet spot of the Habicht is more than big enough for me. I did not notice any significant CA in both models.

For me purchasing the Habicht was the right decision and I look forward to using it on my planned trekking trips in Norway this summer.

(English is not my mother tongue, so I apologise for any mistakes)

To those not sensitive to CA, it's never going to be an issue. To those that are, it's genuine.

Indeed. I've seen a Leica bin that had a lot of it. Horrible. But another sample of the same model didn't have any (whereupon I bought it). It's not obvious that CA is a design issue rather than a sample-by-sample variation.

Edmund

Indeed. I've seen a Leica bin that had a lot of it. Horrible. But another sample of the same model didn't have any (whereupon I bought it). It's not obvious that CA is a design issue rather than a sample-by-sample variation.

Edmund

Edmund:

CA is a design issue and Leica does have more than others, some of this
comes with a more compact design that includes a shorter focal length.

I don't think it varies much between examples.

Now other things can vary, such as individual sharpness between barrels, smoothness of focus and more.

I suppose we all see things differently.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back