• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best place to see a Cock of the Rock lek (2 Viewers)

Excellent! Very well done! A splendid view of one of the top birds on the planet! Look forward to reading your report in due course.

Guianan: Aldea mari mari lodge in presidente figueiredo, amazonas, Brasil. Hire a car in manaus and just go. 100% possibilities

Enviado desde mi LG-H930 mediante Tapatalk

Although of little use to the original poster, I thought I'd just clarify this a bit. The lek at Marí Marí is not 100% outside the breeding season. If you visit in May-June, for example, the chances are much lower to find the birds at the lek. Best time of year to visit this lek is between August and October, during which time it is an amazing spectacle.

Question from a new birder here:

¿What time of the year should one go to see a lek group in actual/full "lekking" activity?

I understand there's another lek group near Cali (where I live), I a place called La Leonera, and I wonder when would be the best time to visit

Others may know better than me, but I think the males will lek more or less all the year round, as it is a means of establishing and maintaining a hierarchy or 'pecking order' for when females are around. The actual lek seemed to be more about males facing off against each other than displaying to the (at the time, non-existent) females.

That said, I guess activity is likely to be more intense during the breeding season. According to Wikipedia, in Colombia breeding normally takes place from February until July, but it is the opposite in Ecuador (July to February), so I don't know if that means SW Colombia is different!

One of the best-known lekking species over here is Black Grouse (Lyrurus tetrix) - males of this species visit lek sites in winter, well before the spring breeding season; I have a colleague who lives near a lek site, who has also seen males there in August, after the end of breeding season. To me this indicates that maintaining social structure and dominance in males is important outside the breeding season, as well as when females may be present.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back