• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Finches and Wrens? (1 Viewer)

amakamoy

We've had a pair of house finches build a nest inside the wreath on our front door. They've got 5 little eggs that should be ready to hatch within the next week or so. Just this morning, I noticed a pair of wrens (not sure which type yet, I've only gotten glimpses) preparing to build a nest in a potted fern directly next to said front door. We do have a soft spot for wrens, this wouldn't be the first clutch of them raised on our porch, but we know they're territorial little things, and are worried for the finches. Is there any chance they'd be able to coexist in such close proximity? Should we just let nature take its course, or try to intervene somehow?

I’d let nature take its course. Wrens are notoriously territorial with respect to other wrens of their species but I doubt if they’d worry overmuch about the proximity of a House Finch nest.

What kind of wren, by the way: House? Carolina? Bewick’s?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! You’re right, the wrens have gone about their business without any drama. And they are taking their sweet time, thank goodness. It’s been a week and momma wren just started laying yesterday or the day before. The finch babies are about four or five days old now, so our hope is that the overlap of porch space usage will be minimal and nobody will get their knickers too twisted about having neighbors - the finches should fledge and be gone well before the wrens have hatched.

We were able to get a good enough look to confirm identity of the wrens as Carolina :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back