• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified (Calliphox) Woodstar sp at Camarones (1 Viewer)

Jens Thalund

On 7 May 2019 I was birding the dry shrub near Camarones, on the Caribbean coast in Northern Colombia, when I noticed a small hummingbird perched in the top of a bush some 25 meters away.
I quickly realised, that it was one of the Calliphlox Woodstars, in female/juvenile plumage, due to the rufous belly, white throat, long white eye-brow behind the eye, white puffs at the legs and small size.
No Calliphlox species should occur on the dry Caribbean coast, with the nearest being Santa Marta Woodstar in the Santa Marta mountains, but I am not familiar enough with this family, to rule out Amethyst or White-bellied Woodstar, both of which seem as unlikely to be found near Camarones, several hundred km from their nearest distribution.
I hope someone with more detailed knowledge will be able to comment on the bird, see attached photos.

Cheers

Jens

Attachments

• P1340497.jpg
    P1340497.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 10
  • P1340495.jpg
    P1340495.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 20
  • P1340493.jpg
    P1340493.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 9
Nearby hotspots in ebird seems only to list the following hummers:
Ruby-topaz Hummingbird
Black-throated Mango
Red-billed Emerald
Buffy Hummingbird
Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
Sapphire-throated Hummingbird
Shining-green Hummingbird

Niels (of course, I might use the wrong Camarones ...)

No, you've got the right Camarones....and Woodstars are definately not part of the usual hummingbirds there.
Whichever Woodstar it is, it's way off course, even if it is a Santa Marta Woodstar, which breeds maybe as little as 50-75 km away, but in a very different habitat.

Jens

God morgen Jens,
I would repeat your post 1 in the Id section where a larger number of people are likely to see it

Niels

Selv go'morn Niels,

I had thought of this, but felt it was more appropriate in the Colombia section, as it would target a rather narrow group of users with (hopefully) more knowledge of this group of birds.
Looking through various field guides and online photos hasn't made me less confused, as photos of female Santa Marta Woodstar from El Dorado lodge looks far more colourful (and like 'my' bird) than illustrations in field guides.

I'll cross post it to the id section, and see what happens

Forårshilsner fra Danmark

Jens

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back