• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Bald Eagle (1 Viewer)

BanjoBill

Juvenile Bald Eagle at Cherry Creek in Denver

Nikon D4, Nikon 500mm f4

Thanks Bill

Attachments

• Cherry Creek Eagle - 1.jpg
    Cherry Creek Eagle - 1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 484
Very nice. But I would like it better if it weren't cropped so tightly, particularly on the top, bottom and right-hand margins (but I'd expand the left margin a little as well).

Agree with fugl, a bit more negative space would work better for me.

It's a gorgeous, striking photo, but again, it feels like it needs space for the bird to breathe. I'd love to see an amended image if it's available.

This is pure brilliance! Like others, I would love to see this beautiful image in a larger space.

I agree with everyone else. It's a great shot but a bit too tight a crop. I'd like to know what equipment you were using.

Hi,

Would you guys ever crop in further...??? say upper right hand quarter or lower right hand quarter (may not be exact but you get the picture)? This pulls you in close on the detail and keeps the eye/head as the primary focus and gives an off-center composition vs an object centered in the frame.

The capture of the object and detail and moment is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

CG

I'd like to have the original uncropped version to play with. I think there might be lots of interesting options including what you suggest.

As mentioned, the crop is too tight.

The wings are also in a very unappealing position. In addition, you are looking up at the bird and the face is covered by shadow.

Generally, it's best to try and shoot them closer to eye level, have nicer light on the face (more eye contact is going to give even more intimacy with the viewer) and have wings up, down, sideways straight, but this kind of bent position is not very pleasing aesthetically.

You will have no issues improving your stuff with your gear and bald eagles.

I like this pic so much I was actually thinking about it and had to come back and see it again lol

As mentioned, the crop is too tight.

The wings are also in a very unappealing position. In addition, you are looking up at the bird and the face is covered by shadow.

Generally, it's best to try and shoot them closer to eye level, have nicer light on the face (more eye contact is going to give even more intimacy with the viewer) and have wings up, down, sideways straight, but this kind of bent position is not very pleasing aesthetically.

You will have no issues improving your stuff with your gear and bald eagles.

dont listen to this person OP.

i mean i guess its just subjective opinion (we all have our own ideas of what is aesthetically pleasing) but to me the wings look extremely majestic and elegant. The crop gives it an unorthodox close up intimate feel. Its just a badass pic. I love all sorts paintings and pictures of animals, and if I came across this somewhere - i would buy it in a heartbeat.

you have a unique style and I hope continue this neat kind of work

I like this picture a lot.

A tip I was told a few years back is to look at a picture upside down and ask yourself what is the first thing that catches your eye? To me it is the nearest wing tips which are either a benefit or a distraction, depending on your own personal taste.
(This method is apparently supposed to get inside your subconscious, to help understand why we like/dislike certain images!)

My only improvement suggestion is....I'm not sure if it is the screen I am viewing on, but it appears to have a slight vignetting which gives the bird a slightly light glow around its edges which to me makes the bird seem confined (more so than the tight crop which I like for giving impact)

If I only ever took one bird photo I would be be really happy with this one!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back