• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iris in Ethiopia (1 Viewer)

Muppit17

I found this iris blooming at c 3700m in the Simien Mountains, Ethiopia in February.

Can anyone help with the ID

Many thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0207v1.jpg
    DSCN0207v1.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 23
Looks rather like Barbary Nut, Moraea (Gynandriris) sisyrinchium

I thought this species was tied to the Mediterranean and was not found above 1000m. This was seen at about 3700m.

I am trying to find a guide to Moraea. It looks to be a good place to start as the alpine flora of Ethiopia looks very close to fynbos of South Africa.

I thought this species was tied to the Mediterranean and was not found above 1000m. This was seen at about 3700m.

I am trying to find a guide to Moraea. It looks to be a good place to start as the alpine flora of Ethiopia looks very close to fynbos of South Africa.

I wasn't totally sure of the species + couldn't find any reference to it in Ethiopia but then no other useful info about Iridaceae there. I have been to Ethiopia a couple of times but didn't see it, but was there later in the year.

Suspect your plant is a close relative of my suggestion.

Suspect your plant is a close relative of my suggestion.

Totally agree, and thank you for the pointer.

It is one thing that I am struggling with, there are widespread african species and the localised Ethiopian endemics. Trying to find guidance about what you are looking at seems to be v difficult

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back