• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gagea lutea, Yellow star-of-Bethlehem? (Romania) (1 Viewer)

siposi

Hello,

I saw this flower yesterday in Romania, in a beech forest. I would like to ask for an id for it. Can this be Gagea lutea (Yellow star-of-Bethlehem) or is it something
else?

Thank you very much in advance,
Istvan

Attachments

• Virag4 copy.jpg
    Virag4 copy.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 24
It's certainly a Gagea species.I don't know how many species occur in Romania. Most have yellow flowers (a couple of species have white) + can be tricky to identify. When I've been in Kazakhstan in the spring there are a lot of superficially similar species.

Nutcracker,

One of the basic rules of Birdforum, as explained in the sites rules, is:

"Avoid racial, religious and political comments."

Every single post of yours now includes a signature, user summary and avatar all calling upon members to support your political stance on Brexit, even including direct links. You are clearly not following the letter or spirit of Birdforum regulations - cut it out, give us a break from your boring obsession. If you wish to talk politics, go to Ruffled Feathers.

Last edited:
Moderators, please request this poster abides by the basic regulations of Birdforum. A bitter and divisive topic, Brexit is already all al over news channels, etc, we do not need his political views (however worthy or otherwise) promoted on every thread he posts here on Birdforum.

Thank you very much for your help and responses aeshna5 and Nutcracker!

Wow, Nutcracker, your response is awesome (as always)! I searched a lot for a list of the species just from Romania and the feature of filtering based on a country from the BGBM website is really cool. I can start now to roll out some of the species from your list, I think I can do that based on the size, shape and number of the basal leaves (here we have only 1), also on the habitat (I found that in a forest). I already found yesterday a partial list from Hungary (from Romania nothing), and Gagea lutea was the most likely species (also one of the most common ones I think), but having the whole list is really helpful. I will post back here what I have found later today ...

Thanks again,
Istvan

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back