• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Kowa TSN4 (1 Viewer)

chrise

I'm really interested i getting in to digiscoping, so musch so that I was going to upgrade my Kowa TSN4. I was amazed when the guy at Focalpoint told me that he would stick with the scope that I have. He tried his Nikon Coolpix 4500 and the results looked good. I'm trying to buy one of these secondhand, but wondered if there is a good alternative. Would the new Samsung do the trick? Also, where is the best place to get an adaptor to fix the camera to the scope? I can't see handholding working too well.

Hi Chrise

Welcome to birdforum first.

My dad uses his TSN 4 with a canon A95 and the kowa zoom eye piece which gives him very good shots with this combination. Not sure which eye piece you have but the opticron HDF and SDL zoom work a treat with the scope and produce even better shots than the kowa zoom, mainly because they have a wider fov and let more light through the scope.

IF it is just digiscping you are interested in try a fixed 20 or 30 eye piece these have a wider fov than the zooms. Infocus sell adapters that fit the opticron eye pieces and the samsung camera kit.

Good luck with your quest.

Paul

chrise said:
I'm really interested i getting in to digiscoping, so musch so that I was going to upgrade my Kowa TSN4. I was amazed when the guy at Focalpoint told me that he would stick with the scope that I have. He tried his Nikon Coolpix 4500 and the results looked good. I'm trying to buy one of these secondhand, but wondered if there is a good alternative. Would the new Samsung do the trick? Also, where is the best place to get an adaptor to fix the camera to the scope? I can't see handholding working too well.

I use the nikon cp 990 with an adapter from London Camera Exchange. Works ok.

www.digiscoped.com is your best bet

Paul Jarvis said:
Hi Chrise

Welcome to birdforum first.

My dad uses his TSN 4 with a canon A95 and the kowa zoom eye piece which gives him very good shots with this combination. Not sure which eye piece you have but the opticron HDF and SDL zoom work a treat with the scope and produce even better shots than the kowa zoom, mainly because they have a wider fov and let more light through the scope.

IF it is just digiscping you are interested in try a fixed 20 or 30 eye piece these have a wider fov than the zooms. Infocus sell adapters that fit the opticron eye pieces and the samsung camera kit.

Good luck with your quest.

Paul

Is there an adapter for the a95 to kowa tsn?

Hi Chrise and welcome to the madhouse. :hi:

The attached pics were taken with :-

TSN4 with an Opticron 20-60x HDF zoom eyepiece, meant for the ES80ED, and a Coolpix 4500 with an Opticron adapter.

Two of the pics are the originals just resized and the other two are after editing in adobe photoshop to show the importance of some good photo editing software.

Also these were taken at full zoom on the Opticron eyepiece, which as most people will tell you is not recommended but judge for yourself.

Oh and it wasn't my TSN4 :(

Jaff

Attachments

• TSN4 01.jpg
    TSN4 01.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Avocet02.jpg
    Avocet02.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 180
  • TSN4 02.jpg
    TSN4 02.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Avocet01.jpg
    Avocet01.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 199
Jaff said:
Hi Chrise and welcome to the madhouse. :hi:

The attached pics were taken with :-

TSN4 with an Opticron 20-60x HDF zoom eyepiece, meant for the ES80ED, and a Coolpix 4500 with an Opticron adapter.

Two of the pics are the originals just resized and the other two are after editing in adobe photoshop to show the importance of some good photo editing software.

Also these were taken at full zoom on the Opticron eyepiece, which as most people will tell you is not recommended but judge for yourself.

Oh and it wasn't my TSN4 :(

Jaff
For full zoom, the shots are very good indeed. Well done!

Have a look at the Olympus 320/350 series, the Sony's, the Nikon P series , The Fuji F10/F11. They should all work reasonable well with the Kowa and Kowa have a digiscoping adapter but you should check if it works with your eyepiece.Neil.

Chrise,

The Fugi F/10 and F/11 are in this same thread digiscope camera, Also the fugi f/30 is out and interesting reading the analysis Forcreeks is doing on it presently. The F/30 takes multiple pics and you chose which could be incredible for digiscoping.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back