• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

thrush? northern california (1 Viewer)

I dunno, I think it looks more like a Swainson's with what, on my monitor, looks like a buffy, not white, eye ring, and the smudgy breast spotting. Can't see enough of the wings and back for the amount of rufous, but what we can see of the wings looks fairly reddish to me.

But I'm usually more wrong than right on photo IDing, so I'll defer to the experts. ;)

I'll go the other way and say Hermit going off jizz, but no expert here, so again, hope some of our friends here'll give us a nice ol' Catharus analysis! Nice capture on this guy, btw, whatever he / she may be. For ID purposes, when was this photo taken?

Hello All,

The dark and noncontrasting lores (area between eye and bill) and strong, perfect eye ring, are enough pretty much by themselves to tell us the bird is a Hermit Thrush. All the other Catharus thrush have palish or contrasting lores, Swainson's Thrush have a distinctive "spectacles" where both eye ring and lores are buffy. Assuming the photo was taken recently, anything other than Hermit would be quite unlikely anyway.

All just my opinion, of course. Another opinion of mine is that Karl did an excellent job with the photo! :t:

so i think im going to go with a hermit. thanks guys and thanks for the comments. 2nd day digiscoping.

alex, this picture was actually taken a 1/2 hour before i made that post. i was just practicing in my backyard.

paintball_karl said:
so i think im going to go with a hermit. thanks guys and thanks for the comments. 2nd day digiscoping.

alex, this picture was actually taken a 1/2 hour before i made that post. i was just practicing in my backyard.

Cool - as B Lag says, for this time of year, anything but Hermit would be quite unlikely.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back