• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern California Thrush (1 Viewer)

waka waka

Abuser
Hello everyone, I saw this bird a few days ago in the Mendocino National Forest, I observed it scratching the forest floor then flying to low limbs. The trees were thick so i could not get a clean shot. I did not see it flicking its tail very much, but i still think its a Hermit. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 140
thanks, unfortunately i wasn't really birding at the time so i didn't take the time to note a lot about the bird and just whiped out my camera and got one pic. there were several in the area though.

From a UK birders, quick glance point of view looks like a Veery but could be Grey Cheeked, Swainsons or Hermit. Definitely one of those four.

Waka Waka,

Your thrush is a Hermit Thrush. Posture and body shape are classic. Pale grayish head and and lack of strong eyering are also good indications of a Hermit Thrush of one of the western races, perhaps aududoni.

Cameron

What Cameron just said, plus note that Veery and Gray-cheek are both well out of range.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back