• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olive Harvesting Killing Millions of Birds (1 Viewer)

Horrific, had no idea, why hasn't it been stopped?

All the pro EU folk are so smug about the various wildlife protections that may be lost when (if) the UK leave. Add to this the shooting in various places (I refuse to call it hunting) and the liming and the French with their Ortolan feast, all of which have escaped the EU lawmakers, or they've ignored it?

Last edited:
Well, we certainly won't be able to do anything about it once we've left the EU, but please let's not turn this into a Brexit rant. I'm open to correction, but I believe that killing Ortolans is illegal in France and has been for maybe 20 years, although it still goes on - a bit like fox hunting here, I suppose.

So the fruits are cool - supposed to keep them tasting better than daytime (traditional) harvesting.

In Portugal, much of the habitat destruction and replacement with irrigated "olive hedges" is driven by wealthy entrepreneurs buying up large areas of land or coming to agreements with landowners. Its a typical case of massive intensive agriculture - not much different than many other cases around the world. Extremely sad and angry.

Many thanks, Simon and Rosbifs. Even if it really does make a difference it's not a price worth paying IMHO. I was never the greatest fan of olives, but I've been put right off them now.

Even if it really does make a difference it's not a price worth paying IMHO.

Agree completely - and anyway the whole love of olives and olive oil goes back to days of traditional growing and harvesting - they would avoid harvesting in the heat of the middle of the day. Traditional Olive groves are a sight to behold, with the beautiful trees often 100's of years old and NOT irrigated - and great for wildlife. Now these bloody hedges covering massive "as far as the eye can see" landscapes use vast amounts of water to increase planting to production time and the whole reason for planting in as hedges is to facilitate the use of those infernal hoovering machines. Even if night harvesting is stopped, the effect on dryland steppic species has been and continues to be devastating.

Species severely affected include Great and Little Bustards, Stone Curlew, Sandgrouse species, Tawny Pipit, Calandra and other larks, Spanish Imperial, Bonell's and Golden Eagles, European Roller, Black-eared Wheatear, Spectacled Warbler - the list goes on.

Also, farmers who have traditional, old fashioned Olive groves are being priced out of the market. The largest reservoir in Europe, the Alqueva reservoir in Portugal was constructed (against much protest from locals and conservationists) not so many years ago to facilitate the irrigation of massive olive farms and suchlike in these bio-diverse dry areas.

This reservoir has a large number of islands, many off which have been bought by Portuguese and Spanish "elite" with luxury houses and boats -the very same people in many cases who are financing this whole olive mess.

There is also a new and very lucrative tourist industry to ferry people around on boat trips, camping sites with beaches etc etc now......I want to scream!

Horrific, had no idea, why hasn't it been stopped?

All the pro EU folk are so smug about the various wildlife protections that may be lost when (if) the UK leave. Add to this the shooting in various places (I refuse to call it hunting) and the liming and the French with their Ortolan feast, all of which have escaped the EU lawmakers, or they've ignored it?

I'm with you to an extent Andy - but there are also good things - The EU Bird and Habitat Directives are brilliant - if you read them you will see that they are largely unbiased and set out by unbiased field biologists etc. The problem is nearly always lack of implementation or the fact that other ministries can trump environmental ministries like "ministries of economy" - so often, interests quoted such as "of local or national economic value" bypass environmental impact assessments etc.

One small positive example recently of the EU directives working properly concerns a large proposed clifftop tourist development here in the Algarve, which has been prevented from going ahead because of a protected species that grows there - the humble little Alarvian Toadflax Linaria algarviana. In this case the law worked. And, there are plenty of other examples - and as you express many examples where the law is ignored because of financial interests. An even rarer Toadflax Linaria ricardoi, endemic to the olive growing region is in grave threat of extinction because of the super-intensive olive production that this thread is about (Trying to stay on track ;))

So sometimes, tiny little flowers can stop big building projects - and can also be ignored, depending :-C

Attachments

• Linaria_algarviana.jpg
    Linaria_algarviana.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Linaria_ricardoi_Cuba_2.jpg
    Linaria_ricardoi_Cuba_2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 12
Looks like the logo to look out for has "Olivares Vivos" on it for bird friendly olive and olive oil production. There seem to be several logos but they all have this text.
regards
Paul

Looks like the logo to look out for has "Olivares Vivos" on it for bird friendly olive and olive oil production. There seem to be several logos but they all have this text.
regards
Paul

Thanks for that! Now I see its a Spanish LIFE project (One of many EU projects to protect biodiversity - most rather successful) - this will be tough nut to crack though!

https://olivaresvivos.com/en/the-life-project/

The fact that set-aside is now defunct means massive habitat loss. I have mentioned before but it's sad to see once areas of scrub being exploited by farmers - hedges, small copses, rough land being chopped, cleared and now farmed to field boundary limits. Conversly, here farmers in the mountains get huge subsidies for maintaining 'alpine' meadows - non-farmers think its a disgrace so the sudsidy may be withdrawn and the farmers will revert to machinery etc to utilise their land more effectively...

Where do the birds animals etc go. All being marginalised by lack of protection, through funding, and advances in machinery and farming methods.

The majority of 'humans' are happy because prices are lower so there is little political weight to argue against it and certainly very little to reverse the process because 'we' were against in the first place - seen as money for nothing for the farmers....

To the un-educated they see olives groves and think what wonderful habitat for the animals and birds - we see something else...

As for the Ortolan Bunting there are areas, in France, where it is legal to hunt them - where it is considered a traditional practice. I think its limited to certain areas in the Landes.

I buy organic olive oil from California where green methods are used to grow and harvest the olives on family owned and operated orchards. A good deal of the olive oil marked as originating in Spain and Italy is actually sourced from Africa and then repackaged.

As a former olive farmer in central Italy, I can say that I have never heard of this nonsense! Harvesting at night? you must be joking! 3:)

Maybe it's the different (i.e. warmer) climate, but here you don't harvest for example early in the morning if the trees are covered in dew, or if it has rained and the trees are still wet, because this damages the tree (humidity seeps into the branches), so the same would apply at night. Maybe in a drier climate this doesn't happen? Also you could never use those machines on the hilly terrain here - there are almost no olive groves in the plains. So buy olive oil that comes from central Italy: Umbria, Tuscany, Lazio, Abruzzo. Sicily should be ok too - not sure about Puglia (Apulia), as olive farming is more industrialised there.

Loads of postings about techniques and tackle! But only 18 about birds being killed by totally wrong harvest methods. Instead of buying olives and olive related products of duboius origin why not leaving the oil and other products where they are? On the groceries' shelves.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back