Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Live Starling nests in Finland

Old Friday 3rd May 2019, 01:26   #1
munamiesmaalta

Live Starling nests in Finland

I have installed camera to a birdhouse in Southern part of Finland and now Starling has moved in. There is six eggs at the nest and they are gonna hatch in 2 weeks. Young birds are gonna fly away from nest after ~one month.

Link to live camera:

https://tuulipuku.fi/tv/
Old Friday 3rd May 2019, 09:39   #2
andyadcock

It's odd how an attitude to species varies across countries. In the UK, Starlings are seen as a bit of a nuisance by some but in Russia where they are perhaps not so common, they too put up nest boxes just for Starlings and in the pet shops, most nest boxes for sale, are intended for Starlings.
Old Wednesday 8th May 2019, 08:56   #3
Andy Hurley
Opus Editor
BF Supporter 2019

I think they are actually quite beautiful and when they meet up to hang about in very large numbers, they are stunning. Fortunately they are not so numererous that they are a nuisance were I live. I remember a summer flock near S'Albufera on Mallorca that had at least 500,000. The flock flew overhead for about 5 minutes, heading to the reedbeds to roost. Once there the put on an amazing display of flight. One of my bucket list things to see crossed off. I would happily watch a murmuration again though. They are one of my January ticks locally. If they had enough natural habitat they would not become a nuisance species.

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 7th June 2019, 20:10   #4
Willfish4fud

That’s really cool
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: