• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hurrican Felix (1 Viewer)

BrightonBirder

I was hoping Tom Jenner might be able to keep us upto date on storm develop and damage from Hurricane Felix. It looks to be tracking from Mosquita to about Juticalpa and onto Neuvo Ocotopegue. Would be a good time to head to El Poy area perhaps to find El Salvador's first Great Jacamar.

I am very curious if anybody hears specific information from Honduras. The track indicates huge impacts for Olancho (which still shows scars from Mitch in 1988).

Michael

There are reports of around 1000 deaths in Nicaragua and Honduras, so it must have been terrible. I think the Mosquitia and Olancho got the brunt of it. We were braced for the worse here in El Salvador, but it had pretty much died out as it passed over the Honduran highlands. Mitch caused a lot of habitat damage, but the real tradgedy was to the population and infrastructure of the place. Years after hurricane Mitch, it was still hard to travel around parts of the country because of missing bridges and damaged roads. There will probably be similar problems after Felix and it may now be difficult to visit some of the areas that were worse hit.

Tom

Interesting, in North American media I read of 35 deaths, primarily in Mosquita. 1000 people is a lot considering how rural the area is. If you hear more, or are headed to the Juticalpa highway, let me know.

I imagine the only good thing that might happen with the storm is clean air in San Salvador for the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back