• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 8x30 7 or 5 model? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I am looking for a small, manageable binocular, with little weight, but that is of good quality, that is, that provides images with great contrast and sharpness, has anyone used the Nikon Monarch 8x30 model?
better than the usual 8x25 pocket?

Thanks wachi

I use the M7 8x30 as travel bin. VG optical quality, very wide FOV, small, light, happy with it. It does just about everything right in a tiny package. Repeating the cliche, 8x30 is the smallest bin that acts like a full-size bin. An 8x25 is a true compact. Smaller, more risk of usability problems.

Some M7 users have trouble with "jelly beaning," i.e., partial black outs. That issue is to some extent intrinsic to small bins. Interpupilary distance and the ocular-to-eye distance become more critical in small bins with smaller exit pupils. Try both if you can. If you're contemplating 8x25, you'll likely find usability better at 8x30. Also some users have had issues with the rubber coatings. Mine are fine. Long warranty in the US if necessary.

Google will find LOTS of user reports for the M7, e.g., here and on cloudynights. Some of the nit-picking is vaguely unfair, IMHO (bins trigger emotional and commercial reactions online). There is no perfect bin for all people. The M7 gets nearly everything right, given the size and cost, IMHO.

My wife's travel bin is a Vortex Diamondback 8x28 (current version). Sharp optically, solid mechanically. Dislike the narrow FOV. Nikon TravelLites are even narrower.

Last edited:
I bought two, for myself and wife. This was after some research into a sub 400g binocular. I tried a few 8x25 (no alphas) but the ease of use and big view in the M7 won me over. A little over 400g and just too big to keep in my jacket pocket. I haven't been troubled by the flaws reported by many.
My UV7x42HD and ZR7x36ED2 are my main birding bins, but for holidays away where birding is not the main objective, the M7 does the job well. Probably feels small for a few minutes when used after using the 7x bins, but in a short time, I can enjoy the view. My wife no longer uses her heavier bins.

The M7 is a noticeable step up from the M5. When I tried the M7 8x30, I thought the optics were pretty good, but the eye relief was way too short for me (I do not wear glasses). They are amazingly small and light. It's probably the lightest of the 8x30 - 8x32, especially in that price range.

You could also look at the Meopta Meopro HD 8x32. I also really liked the Minox 8x33 BL HD. To me, the Minox BL has great optics for the price range.

People seem to also love the Zeiss Victory 8x25, but that is a significant price hike.

Marc

I was using my M7 8x30s yesterday, and thinking to myself, that, whilst I have binoculars from Zeiss and Swarovski, and have owned Leica binoculars in the past, for the size, weight, and the money, the little M7 gives a very good account of itself.

As others have said, it's sharp and clear (not the ultimate, but good enough for most purposes), light and compact, and for the price it also feels rugged enough that I don't feel I have to "baby" it. I put mine in a lightly padded case, and it goes in my rucsack and I cycle to work with it pretty much every working day - for when I go for a birding walk each lunchtime. I've had mine for a while now, and it's holding up just fine - the focus is as smooth and fine and backlash-free as ever. Everything just works.

There are slight downsides - eye positioning is a little bit picky, but you soon learn it. Performance against the light isn't the best - a tendency to a bit of flare - but eye positioning has a role to play here too.

Yesterday I was thinking to myself that if for some reason I could from now on only use my M7 8x30s (and none of the other fine binoculars available) I would still enjoy using them, I would still enjoy the view through them, and I would still enjoy my birding.

My experience matches most of what's been said here. I think the image quality is very good, pretty crispy views with nice wide FOV. In my case I can see the veiling glare, especially at sunset. Other than that, no faults (no kidney-beaning or lack of eye relief for me; I don't wear glasses). After using a full size binocular or even a "regular" 8x32, they feel really light. I love the soft texture of the armour and the way the small bridge gives longish tubes to hold on, so personally the usability is really good. But... I wouldn't call them "pocket binoculars". With a bit of play I can manage to tuck them in the pocket of my parka, but is not really comfortable to take them in and out as with a really compact 8x20-25. I got one for a reasonable amount from a forum member and I think they're great value.

I have M7 8x30 as my main and only bin. I just have to agree with what everyone has said. In the "paper" M7 seemed the be the sweet spot or perfect compromise for decent price bins. And they were nearly 200 € cheaper than their big brother 8x42 model. Some glare issues are the only negative for me, otherwise I am happy. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back