• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have Starling Problems And Eastern Blue Bird Problems!!!!! (1 Viewer)

keith richter

i have a sparrow hawk box and a starling went in it. and it built a nest and it has blue eggs they look like blue bird eggs. but bluebirds lay 3-5 eggs.
but their is 7 eggs. please help me ! i am angry :C
thanks, keith richter

Can't you sit at a distance and wait to see an adult arrive?

Maybe they've already deserted the nest - most species are very vulnerable to disturbance by potential predators (including Man!) during the egg-laying and early incubation period.

Best keep nest visits to an absolute minimum or not disturb them at all.

andrew, how many boxes do you have? i have been wondering if their is a box for mocking birds? this might be a dumb question! but i have a pond in my yard and their is two northern mocking birds in the yard that is why i asked you if their is a box? keith richter

How many boxes you have really depends on the size of your yard and the number of trees - a couple on your house and/or outbuildings, one on each tree if the trees are well-spaced, one on every third tree if the trees are very close to each other. Fix up four or five sizes with varying entrance size and fix them at varying heights.

I'm sure there are many nestbox plans online, I'll go see if someone has a link for something suited to mockingbirds.

I have never seen a Mockingbird use a nest box. They usually use a very dense shrub and build their nest very close to the center of that shrub.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back